Another question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Maisch

Reaction score
Another question. I have 2 possibile spots for parking the boat. The one preferred spot is on an incline where the rear of the boat will be at top and front of boat will be on the downside. Is this no good because the boat won't drain. I have a cover but I'm not sure if it's waterproof or just water resistant or just for uv protection. Also should I remove the depth finders when the boat is not in use.

IMHO, the sonar units should not be on the boat unless it is on the water and you are using them.

How much water will the hull hold? How much do you think all that water will weigh?

If you are in an area that freezes in Winter, how much ice do you think it will take to crack your hull like an egg shell? You can do the math.

Ok. So take off the depth finders. How much water does the hull hold. Is this a real question that I should no the answer to. In fact let me go look up what a hull is. I'm in trouble aren't I. I did mention I am completely new at this right

No, it's rhetorical question. No water in the hull is a good thing, especially if it freezes. All of your pumps and other goodies will freeze and break with water in them. Even your lower unit can be damaged with water in the prop if not tilted down. Gauges, speedo, water pressure tube, etc., all will break/split.

Eric - being in Pennsylvania, freezing weather and snow are an issue for you. Regardless of the type of cover, water will get into the boat and work its way to the lowest point (i.e., the bilge aka bottom of the hull).

During the warm weather, your boat is fine in the preferred spot although you may get some mold/mildew from any water remaining in the bilge. During the winter, find another spot where both the boat and lower unit has no chance of accumulating water. As Toxic noted, freezing water does bad stuff! Granted, you'll need a LOT of water to fill up the boat to get where the pumps, etc. are, but is it worth it to test out how much? Not only that, but the extra water weight that will accumulate is not good for the trailer either!

BTW - if you have a speedo and water pressure gauge on your dash, probably worth disconnecting those underneath the dash before winter as well. Even a small amount of left over water in those gauges can freeze and break the internals. Small step to avoid a costly replacement come spring.

Latest posts

Back