Another fishing day stolen

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
Yep, believe it or not. I just got finshed with the process of replacing my prop (complete with McGuard lock) after the theft of the last one.

Jeanne, Zachary and I arrived at the boat storage facility today to find several boats broken into, including ours.

This time, it was my electronics and all of my rod/reel combos. The thieves busted all of the compartment locks. They cut a couple of the straps on my boat cover, despite the fact that it just snaps off. They couldn't seem to get the glove box open, after breaking off the knob with the pliers. Funny, I always thought that would be the easiest thing to break into. The prop lock works. The prop was still there.

Total theft somewhere in the neighborhood of $1800.

Also on the casualty list were ten rod and reel combos from a Triton, and a pop-up camper. Yes, a camper. The theives cut a hole in the fance, cut the motor chain for the electric fence, rolled the fence gate open, and trailed away the camper.

Once again, the real theft was time. They took a fishing day from my family, which can't be insured or replaced.

Sorry to hear you got ripped off again and lost another day of fishing. Might be time to think about relocating the boat to a place that has some security. :(

Cass

I cannot beleive this happened again.Your absolutely correct there is no making up for lost time with your family. I feel for you and your family and hope the rest of the season gets better. Good luck to you Rich,Jeanne,and Zachary.

Sorry to hear this Rick... Don't let them theives force you into moving away unless you feel its best. That would be a small victory for them, IMO. Maybe a new storage facility would be better, who knows...

If you find out who they are, and need help getting rid of the bodies.........

Eric

Think it's time to get a lock'r Bar or an alarm for the boat rich... sorry to hear about your misfortune..... know how you feel... had my trolling motor swiped off the front of my boat ( in my own driveway to boot, not to mention to shine me on the theives or thief took off the transducer rather then cut the wire)

Rich,

Sorry, to hear that Rich. I'm to new to the page to know that this happened before. It deffinately souds like time park the boat somewhere else. Even thow it's a pain, you might want to consider bringing some of your more valuable rods and gear home with you after every trip. I hope you have insurance anyway.

On the lighter side, it is fun to go thru BPS and buy new stuff. Sorry, just trying to help.

Marke

Rich - First my condolences on the boat and gear, that stinks! Does the owner's insurance pay anything or is this another one on you?

Second, i'll be back next weekend but will have the folks in from Scottsdale so give me a weekend or two and i'll get you on the water, and you can use any of my gear you need.

Third, start looking for contractors to add a 3rd garage to the house so you can put the Nitro in it's rightful place at home, and sell the Mitsu to make room. You can always "loan" me the sport-trak for storage at my place LOL!

I know it's Saturday night, but get up in the morning and take the whole family out in the Carver for some good relaxing water time, and drag a few crank baits behind just for good measure!

Let me know if there is anything we can do!

TrepMan - boatless at the inlaws with two days of 70 degree weather and I can't fish!!!

**Expletive Deleted**, Rich........ Time to bring your baby home where she belongs........ Makes you want to strangle someone...... And we all want to help. Mini, you got any relatives in the Atlanta area? You know - the "cobbler" type?

But while you're in Missouri, Rich, BPS has a "customer return" area where they sell stuff at very reduced prices.....

Scott

Thanks, guys and gal, for the sympathy. I do appreciate it.

Insurance will probably take care of most of it. We just got back from BPS, we picked up a few replacement rods and reels so we can try to get out on the water tomorrow. BPS spooled 'em up for us, so we're ready to go. My tackle box was at home, along with my GPS. The thieves didn't want my plano boxes with my lures, and the boat is fine (except the locks), so we've still got fishing capablity.

Alternate storage planning is underway. Not sure what will happen. The landlord has committed to a security camera and new lighting, but frankly, the joint was clearly cased, so I don't know that anything short of some well placed .357 rounds would have stopped the perps.

Interestingly, the guy at the reel counter at BPS told Jeanne that we are the third customer in a few days to have a problem in that general area. The deputy also stated that there have been a bunk of fishing gear thefts lately. He said it's a seasonal thing.

I didn't realize it until this afternoon, but the SOBs cut the draw string on my Nitro cover. It was tied in a big bow, plain as the nose on your face. One tug and it comes undone. Instead, they cut it, and now I have a job of trying to get the end out of the line out of the cover. UGH!!!!

Sorry to hear it's happened again Rich. I can't think of many things that would piss me off more than some lowlife dirtbag SOB breaking into my boat and ripping me off. Definitly sounds like it's time to relocate your baby to a new resting resting spot. Maybe one that actually "has" some sort of security!!

Tite Lines!!
Todd C.

Dang it Rich, That really makes a persons feel like hurting somebody. Hope they catch these SOB's.

Question I have is. Why isn't the Insurance company of the owner or company that owns the storage facility being sewed for the stolen property and damages done to your property. I.E. Boat. Were is the security guard or Cameras that should be there. This almost sounds like the guy is Charging you and others walking in the front door to store your stuff. And Selling your stuff out the BACK DOOR.

Hope your insurance company gose after them. It's not your fault the stuff got stolen.

Sorry you missed another day out with the family. I know how much those days mean to you.

John

John, the owner is genuinely a nice guy, and I can tell he's torn up about what's happening to his customers and his place. He's been slow to react, but I think he will try to do the right things to prevent any further problems. Unfortunately, I think it's too late for some of the customers. One guy moved his boat to another facility yesterday while the police reports were being filled out. I'm on a one year lease that goes until November, but I am already looking at other storage facilities.

A real bummer: The lot next store is under construction, and they built a building that blocks a lot of the storage facility from view (part of the problem). Guess what the building is going to be? A West Marine store! Of all the convenient things to have next door to my boat and now I need to move!!! Irony.

Latest posts

Back