Alabama Rig

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Blankenship

Reaction score
I know this may stir up some stink but I gotta know. I just bought an Alabama rig. Have any of y'all used one. If so what was ur setup on rod and reel. They suggest to use at least 65lb braided line. I have never used braided. What would be a good setup? Don't want nothing expensive. Like a rod and reel under $150. Is there a better ratio on gearing of the reel? Thanks for all the help

I have been using 80lb power pro spectra braid, a 7'10" heavy power w/mod fast action St. Croix Avid series rod, and a Shimano Carado 200E5. It seems to be holding up okay with singles and doubles, but have not had the chance to test on a triple. This is not a 150 dollar rig however. I think a rod as close to 8' as possible and as stiff as you can find. A reel of your choice, but it needs to be a solid one. A lower gear ratio is my preference not sure if it makes a difference. Just remember you will be slinging around a 3oz bait, so whatever setup you choose needs to be very sturdy.

Most are throwing the rig on a swimbait rod. It all depends on the rod for the action. I would think that a fast action rod would be too mushy but it depends on the rod. Slower retrieve reel (think deep cranking) and a swimbait rod should work. Price point is all up to you.

TOXIC

i think a musky rod would work. That is about the same weight as some of the musky lures I use in Canada

Haven't thrown one yet but given the size and number of baits, and the fact that you could in theory be pulling in up to 5 toads, I highly recommend at least a 7' hvy action flippin stick or swimbait rod and 65 lb test braid to hang on! Plus that way if you hang it up, you can use the heavy like to pull hooks out and get your $50-$60 worth of baits back.

I'm actually using a 7'0" All-Star Carolina Rig rod and it seems to work just fine. Caught 15 lbs the first day I tried the A-Rig, this included a double with 2 nice Spots!! The water temp was around 49 and miserable......

Latest posts

Back