Advice on new boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Greenia

Reaction score
OK, Here goes, I have been looking for a new boat and had pretty much decided on the Tracker Targa V18 WT, now I am considering going to a bass boat. I have been looking around and here are the choices. Nitro Z7, Stratos 285XL, Skeeter TZX 190, Triton 18 Pro. All are around $30K, I mostly fish bass, occasionaly Northern Pike, You guys have been really good with your advice,I know it's probably like Fords, and Chevy's, But does anyone have any advice on which is "better" ? I had an Ebbtide bassboat years ago so this won't be my first. Motor size will probably be 150 Hp. I realize this is a Tracker ,Nitro site, but I'm just shooting this out there. :unsure:

I'd stick with the Targa. Can handle most water, most recreation needs and any fishing needs.

What about the ZV21? It is Nitro's new walleye boat. One of the guys in my bass club has one (a Ranger though) since he fishes the great lakes several times a year. He does not give up anything when it comes to bass fishing either.

Ron

I own a Z7 with a 150 Optimax and it does all I need a boat for. I do bass fishing. It is up to you to pick a boat that will work for you and the type of fishing you do the most of. Some are better for one kind of fishing and another for a different type of fishing. Think hard and choose wise for your self. Good luck.

I ran a Ranger bass boat for 20 some odd years and when I went fishing for anything other than bass, walleye, crappie it was a pain in the rear. I didn't fish tournaments anymore, one of the main reasons for having a "tournament boat", it was time to buy the all around boat. I got the 2012 Targa 18WT. You can still fish tournaments with it if you want. I won't go 70 but will go 50 mph. Its a great boat. Don't forget the Terrova iPilot. The best trolling motor out there. ( gps spot lock )

That's really a tough call. You can fish for anything out of anything but ofcourse some's better than others. In my bass tournament days a bassboat style boat was without an exception the best platform out there. Now I fish multispecies and have since about 2001. I switched from a Nitro to my Tundra in O7, It handles bass fishing on the days I lower my standards:) and does well in the big waters of South Dakota where I spend most of my days fishing. It's a much better family boat with the gandkids because of the higher sides mostly. To my Nitro's credit it did a fine job on multispecies but when the storms came up and the four footers came in you'd be have been else where. That sparlkly finish was sure nice to pull into the parking lot with compaired to the dull white one I have now, but then it matches the owner.

Tracker has sold a bunch of the 18 footers and I guess people really like them and that's all I'm gonna say then I'm holding my tougue.

fatrap

DOES IT MATTER HOW FAST U GET THERE OR HOW MANY YOUR GONNA CATCH..... THATS HOE U MAKE YOUR CHOSE WHAT BOAT YOU NEED.... I HAVE A 20' RIVER BOAT THAT I LOVE... DONT GO FAST BUT I CATCH ALOT OF FISH OUT OF IT... I ALSO HAVE A 19' NITRO WITH A 150 ON IT... I GET THERE ALOT FASTER IN IT BUT IT DONT CATCH ME ANYMORE FISH.... SO WHAT IT BOILS DOWN TO IS U WANT TO GO FAST OR JUST CATCH FISH..... GOOOOD LUCK....

My vote goes for Skeeter or Triton in that order.

Good luck choosing;)

Latest posts

Back