A rig tips

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
ok gang, lots of folks talking about alabama rigs, need suggestions from brands, to what type and size and color of jig and trailer, to how in the world do you cast it, and anything else.

With Guntersville only two weeks away, might get some of them for Eli and I.

Trep

I bought the unweighted, reason: now I can adjust the weight, jigs, lures to my liking. I use a tube lure at the head over my installed head weight (I use a bullet worm weight). Heavy gear and strong arms for casting.

cq

Trep,

i bought the Yumbrella rig. It was faily inexpensive and being from NH I dont feel there is a use of this rig. But i had to try it out becuase it looks realy cool in the water.

I can only have 1 hook here, so i rigged the middle bailt with a jig head and the teasers had Do It Hitching Post srew heads without hooks.

I used a gammit of diff swim baits from Berkly Ripple shad to money minnows. I got some of the best action out of Super Flukes.

I only managed 1 fish on this rig last year on a very windy day. I let the wind blow me over a weed flat as the rig was out 20' or so. Hooked into a giant slime dart.

I found it best to try and cast the rig with a 7' Med/Heavy bait caster with heavy braid line. Casting is like swinging an anchor. To big and very heavy, expected it break off and with every cast.

I am not a huge fan of this rig, but like i said it looks so cool i feel like i must throw a few times each outing.

Good Luck

GregD

I just bought a BPS three arm rig to throw at Dale in a few weeks.

It's the one that has spinners also...figured it can only help the SM find em'. I'll let ya' know how it goes. I'm also using Big Hammers as my swimbaits;)

Trep - I bought the YUM version last year and put some swimbaits on it; ones that have worked in the past. Let Greg noted, its like swinging an anchor. I had it on a 7' medium rig and I thought it was going to break the rod off each time! Never caught anything on it (only tried on Lake Anna - hotside), but then I've only thrown it half a dozen times per trip before getting arm fatigue :blink::lol:

My advice is don't bother. The best places to throw them at G'ville is around causeways and bridges. There will be so many boats stacked under EVERY bridge on that lake.I was up there 2 weeks ago and you cant even idle under the causeway bridges without people having to move out of the way. You will be blown away at the amount of people throwing it.

Latest posts

Back