A first in fishing!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Puhalski

Reaction score
Two typical cold water baits scored today for us.

With 20 inches of ice and plenty of rain I just had to get out of the house today. My son, 4 other guys and myself hit west Twin Lake in Salisbury, CT, about 7:45. The rain started just as we were drilling holes. Flag action was good with lots of small pickeral and a few small perch. Jigging gave up lots of very small perch. We finally get all set up when the rain stops.we had a little break in the rain just in time to eat some bacon and eggs when the rain starts up again.

I did get to see one the neatest ice fishing catches ever though. My son and I most always fool around with same strange jigging bait. One of those would be a Jig & Pig through the ice. Well, my son, Jonathan, had a strike that he missed on the first hole he jigged. He stuck with that Pond Scum colored Bass Stalker jig with a Stalker Baits watermelon/red flake chunk most of the morning. As the rain turned to a downpour, he dropped the jig down an uncleaned hole and missed another strike! He quickly dropped it down the hole again when he struck bone on the next hookset! Fighting the fish on a casting reel and short stiff rod he did what I've never heard of being done before. He iced a very nice 3.5# pickeral with a Jig & Pig.

As if that wasn't enough, earlier in the morning, one of the guys was jigging a Silver Buddy type bait and wacked a 5# largemouth!

A little 24" jigging rod, 8# line and a big ole' largemouth. He was working about 10' of water near the edge of the flat. We were off the ice by 11:30 as the rain was too much.

Just had to share the jig & pig story.

Jon,

Did'nt you hear, I called winter off. Now put on your bermuda shorts, short sleeve shirt and get back out there. WINTERS OVER!!

TOXIC

Oh yeah, it's BACK to -12 here today. THANKS a million for calling off winter there Tox! LOL

I think we've got a way to go yet before winter is done with us. I'dd love to go along with your statement if winter being finished, but it's just not to be this year. On the good side, my guide clients are getting itchy also and have been booking many dates. Gonna be a busy spring IF this ice ever dissapears.

Yea it was -13 here this morning....nice try Tox.

Maybe next year it will work.

T.S.

Latest posts

Back