A big deal to me...

• Thread starter Greg Meyer [URL]http://www.vintagejohnsonreels.com
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
Some of you may know... And, most won't care... :eek: But I am one of the more active collectors of old (and new) Johnson reels (and a few others). Yep, those old green Centuries and the other 250 different reels they produced... (I have about 2/3rds of "everything")...

Well, some of you I am sure remember Western Auto (seems we used to have a Western Auto Store Manager around here...hope we still do). In the 60s, 70, and 80s they were big into sporting goods just like Sears and Wards. They sold their products under the logo of "Revelation". So, I'll get to the point... For a while Western Auto sold a Johnson Century (Model 100B) as a Revelation 100B... It wasn't green, but rather deep red... It is not extremely valuable (most of the Johnson reels aren't "real valuable... highest is around $250-275 for a mint NIB Princess), but is one of the more rare finds... Well I finally got one!

And, in the same week... I scored (remember I said I do collect some others) a Zero Hour Bomb Company Reel... "beer can and cone reel". What is that... Zero Hour Bomb Co became Ze(ro Hour) B(omb) Co.

I will post some pictures of both reels after I get them and get them cleaned up and checked out.

(any of you happen to have an old Johnsoen reel laying around and want to get rid of it or want to know about it let me know. There were/are 48 variations of The Century within the three models (of old reels). So, it is a challenge to identify tem all and collect them all..
http://www.vintagejohnsonreels.com/

That's very cool. I had one of those old green Johnsons years ago. You need to come down to Oklahoma some time and visit the Karl White Fishing Tackle Museuem some time.

Thats awesome. I have some of my grandfather's lures and a few reels. Its fun to go through all that stuff..

Greg - I still have a green Centrury I bought 5-6 years ago for use in Canada on jigging for walleyes, yup I go both ways too!!! LOL

Trep,

Send me a pic and I'll begin to tell you about its "provenance"... Seriously, send me a picture. I always like to hear about people still using one of the older models...

Congratulations Greg, I'm way too young to remember all of that but I am happy for you..

I sure remember Western Auto but where I lived it was only a store front. The store just had a front counter with two or three (chained down) catalogs and you went threw them and then told the guy behind the counter what you wanted. Same as Sears and Montgomery Ward. The Western Auto moved into the Rolling Skating Rink when they closed down but I don't remember the gear you're talking about being sold there. And I don't remember the green Centuries either. Now, my best friend just up the street from me swore by Johnson reels but I remember them all being black? After I moved up from Coke Cans and then Cane poles, I got a REEL/REAL pole with a Penn Reel. I was in heaven but boy the arguments my friend and I had though.:)

This post made me a little sad because the best friend I mentioned and I did almost everything together. We had a huge seine net and would argue who had the deep end but we caught everything and sold grass shrimp and bull minnows to the rich fishermen who were around. He died from cancer last year.. Way too young.:(

I will now be on the lookout for you though..

Uncle Billy

Greg - It will have to wait till January when I go back for my next Surgery in the states at the earliest!

Trep

Trep...

That willbe fine... Or when you return for good... I should still be around! LOL If if Uncle Billy is trying to imply that I AM WAY OLDER THAN HIM.... :p

Anyone want me to post my a photo of my collection of naked mermaid lures from the fifties? I have two redheads, a brunette, and one with silver hair.

fatrap

No, but you can send the piicture to me... I'd love to see them... In mint condition they sell for big bucks...

Latest posts

Back