8 Pound Smallie for Dinner

• Thread starter Larry Harp [URL]http://www.kansasangler.com/ksrepo
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys thought about this story? First of all I'm seriously in doubt that this is an 8 pounder, 4 or 5 maybe. Perhaps some of you Smallmouth experts can shed a little more light on this. This story is being discussed on two other message boards that I look in on regarding the "morality" of eating a trophy fish. We haven't had a good hot topic in a while, so what do you all think about this?

Harpo
http://www.kansasangler.com/ksreportanglers.html
040615smallmouth2.jpg

Looking at the other pic on the site, I can see it going 6lbs. If the fish was caught legally, I have no problems with someone wanting to eat it.

Whats the difference between eating a trophy fish or a trophy buck?

On a personal note, I release the larger fish, but would probably keep a record breaker.

Rich D

If the fish is within the creel limit of the lake you are fishing and you catch it, you can do whatever you want with it. It is nice to keep the genetics of big fish in the lake but it is up to the angler to decide. I think the Texas Share a Lunker program is the best around. Turn the fish in alive and get a free replica. Now I don't know how many "meat" fishermen there are but I have no problems bring home tablefare, whether it be LM (least favorite), SM (ok if smaller), eyes, pike, catfish, Perch, Blugill, and my 2 favorites Crappie and Striper. Selective culling is good for any fishery, overfishing on the other hand is not. If I want to keep catching Hawgs like I did Monday on Anna, then all of the LM go back into the pool. Blind catch and release is silly.

TOXIC

6 and no more. Ya' know I look in the back of these mags with pics of smallies....Somebody been smokin' somesit for sure:)

Not familar enough with smallies to guess on the weight. And sometimes, pic's can be deciving - especially if we're debating 2 lbs difference.

On the eating part, I'm in general agreement. If you are out there looking to catch some fish for the pan, and the fish is legal, it's certainly your right.

Our club did the following this spring (don't be throwing any rocks here).

We fished a two day tournament on Lake Russell (SC/GA border). We had about 12 boats boats all told, and about 16-18 anglers. We decided that if we had a decent day on Saturday, we would have a shore dinner. We took the fish from the days tourney back to the motel, where we proceeded to clean, cook and eat them. The 'leftovers' were given to the motel staff and interested passerby's. None were wasted.

I'm sure that there are those that would be aghast at this behavior, but it's the first time that we've done it. It was a great time, and no 'trophies' were caught that day. Most fish were in the 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 pound range. We have talked about doing this once a year going forward.

Tex

I've seen an 8 lber....and that ain't close:) As far as eatin' even a 6...Shame Shame! Big fish do not need to be harvested in my opinion. Let em' die of natural causes. I'd just as soon seen them mount it...At least they could enjoy it...better yet, get a fiberglass replica. Just 2 cent...

TEE

I have no problem with someone catching a fish legally and doing what they want to do with it.....I personally prefer smaller fish for eating....but if it is 8lbs I would hang it on my wall no doubt about that....And Tox you are right the Share a Lunker program here in Tx is nice....man they have put quite a few fish over 10lbs in that program this year.

Since I asked for your opinion I guess it's only fair that I give mine.

I have no problem with folks keeping Catfish, Crappie, Walleye, Carp, ect. and even culling undersized bass in crowded lakes. I guess I have two issues with keeping trophy size bass for either food or trophies.

First of all, we all know how long it takes for a bass to reach that size, especially in northern waters. A fish with that kind of survival instincts should be spared to breed more just like her. With so much pressure on bass these days if everyone with a license keep everything they caught one of two things would happen. One, the lakes would be fished naked. I've seen that happen around here on several lakes. Two, the state wildlife departments would be forced to impose strict limits and also spend even more dollars on re-stocking programs. Taxes and license fees are already high enough. I know that there are stocking programs for Stripers, Hybrids, Walleyes ect. but, with the exception of Walleye in the norther states, there isn't a multi-billion dollar industry gear toward catching them. Bass fishing has become a national past-time that rival NFL, or NASCAR. No species can survive that kind of pressure without good stewardship from the sportsman.

The second issue I have is more personal. I just get sick feeling when I think about someone eating a Largemouth Bass. I never catch Smallmouths so I guess I don't have an emotional connection with them but they rank too. I spend so much time, money, and brain power on what they are up to I guess I just feel a kind of love affair with them. I know that sounds silly but so be it. My son Andy, won't get his fishing merit badge because he refuses to kill and clean a fish. I've always said that if I want to eat fish, I'll go to Long John Silvers. ;>) I hate cleaning them anyway.

Harpo

Hey Jimbob,

The Share A Lunker program in texas only accepts a fish if it is over 13 pounds.

If you look closely at the picture above, it looks like she is fixing to take a bite outta that fish right there in the boat. LOL

Wolf

Hey Wolf, maybe that's what they call Sushi in Kansas. ;>))

Harpo

Thanks wolf I knew it was high number I just did not remeber off hand....I think they have put 3 or 4 fish in that program so far this year....and a couple of them came out of Toledo Bend...

I keep bass if they're legal size and I don't think they will survive after being deep hooked. I may as well be the one to eat it, rather than a carp.( no snide remarks from the gallery!) As a rule if I want fish to eat I'll fish for panfish or walleye.

Gene

It's their fish and they can do what they want, but personally I rarely bring home bass for dinner. At most two to three times a year. When I do I only keep the smaller fish and release anything over two pounds. A few lakes around here have the 16-20 inch slots and they want you to keep the under fish to help the population.

I am a firm believer in Selective Harvest... it's up to the angler...

I cannot count the number of times my dad has said to me:

"You spend all that money to go fishing and never bring any home to eat..."

To this day, he doesnt believe I know how to catch fish.

My boss at my last job thought fishing was all about bringing home catfish. He and his father-in-law would go out to the lake or river and set out about 10 or 12 "poles", drink a case of beer, then get in the back of the van and sleep all night, get up in the morning and reel in their catch. I told him that farm raised catfish filets were only 3 or 4 dollars per pound at the grocery store and he wouldn't have to sleep with his father-in-law.

Harpo

I'll tell you that Brownies ARE a "special fish" that populations should be guarded CLOSELY!

I've seen what keeping good size brownies can do to a lake.

Take Dale Hollow...back in the 80's you couldn't buy a bite and cosequently the marinas and buisnesses suffered.

Then come the 2 fish @ 18" limit. No Good! You still had people keeping 2 fish @ 18" which is quite a bit of meat especially if there's two or more people in the boat.

Well DNR decided to put a stop to it implementing a 1 fish under 16" and 1 over 21".

That did it:) ! Now the lake is making a comeback. BIG smallies are not easy to come by !

Try CPR...if not...IT'S YOUR FISH and you can do with it what you want!

I agree with releasing the larger fish, it takes a long time here in the north to grow a large (5 lb +) fish. I generally keep a few bass, (less than 2 pounders) every year for table fare.

Hey Simnitro-

I tell them

"if I were to keep them,I can't lie about how big they were".

Looks like it is in the 5 pound range and I would imagine it was pretty tasty. Nothing wrong with eating a few.

Mini

I guess to each his own but, were or are you that hungry that you needed to eat her. For mounting purposes all you needed is measurements. For a coloration issue it appears you sport a pretty good digital camera. It looks like you puddle jump around in a high dollar rig. Maybe it broke the bank and ya ain't got no coin to go to the fish market.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................I suspect ya got a freezer full. That ain't the only one.

I like that big cooler under that fish basket.

personally i believe in catch and release,

i don't see the need to eat bass. they are not a good eating fish. i hear of people taking fish for the table a lot and i just don't get it.

maybe i am just not into eating fresh water fish, i would rather take a picture and let it go.

again just my opinion.

GregD

I agree with you 100% Greg. That fish could have been let go a maybe been caught a few times over again.

But, there will be ones on here to say I'm just jealous. No, I'm not bitter. I don't even know where it was caught. I enjoy throwing them back. That's just kids crap to take them home to show mommy.

Was that fish caught on a rod and reel? What did you use to catch it? Was it caught in a net?

Latest posts

Back