700 lx top cap update

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Holliday

Reaction score
well I got the rub rail off and looked at the top cap. there is one screw back there that isn't broke but wasnt really into anything but the cap. If I push down on the cap it doesnt really move either. so I guess what I am going to do is silicone the heck out of it and re-install the rail and then put a bead under that also. not much else I can think of doing at this point.

That is actually good news!! When it happened to mine Mac was helping me launch and the topcap and hull separated about 2 inches. The look on Mac's face was priceless!!:lol::lol:

TOXIC

As I said in my earlier response to you, the top cap screws under the rub-rail have a nasty habit of backing out or breaking. It is made worse by trailering long distances or a lot of rough water use. A good way to see if it is happening is to look down the length of your rub-rail on both sides and if it looks bumpy or wavy chances are you have screws that are backed out or broken. Vibration/flex on the hull is what does it and it is very common on the shoebox fit hulls. Think of a shoebox with the lid being your topcap. the screws go through the topcap and into the hull. That is how the 2 pieces of your boat are held together. The screws are covered by the rub-rail. When the screws back out or break (rough water) it allows your top cap to actually separate from the hull. The screws push against the rub-rail and you can see that. Checking for this condition should be a regular part of your maintenance schedule because it is so common. Fix is to either put bigger screws in or put more screws in. Mini doubled the number of top cap screws on his Ranger because he runs rough water. Some also put silicone/locktite/5200 or other products on the screws to hold them in once tightened.

TOXIC

I have a 700Lx Dc...and I will be checking for this as soon as I get home!

+1 on Tox's comments. Use the 3M 5200 as the sealing agent, and on the underside of the rubrail. ;)

I have noticed that my rub rail is wavy. I had no idea that is what it could be. My boat is an 05 nitro 882. I guess it is the shoebox type hull? How do you take the rubrail off? Is it something that I can do or do I need to take to a shop? I haven't worked on boats much.

Just carefully wedge a screwdriver between the rubber of the rub-rail and gently pry out. On my 929, the rubber was actually in 3 pieces, you want to remove the middle piece. The warmer the better because the rubber needs to be supple. I usually do about 2 feet at a time replacing the rub-rail behind me. If you pull it completely off all the way around, getting it to match perfectly is more difficult. Pull off 2 feet, tighten and seal screws (put sealant on threads), replace rub-rail, remove 2 feet and repeat. Your fingers will be sore after pushing the rub-rail back in but it is well worth it. I always put the bottom of the rail in first when re attaching. It is an easy job but time consuming.

TOXIC

Got a quick question. I took my rubrail off last night and I have severa screws that backed out. I know to put 5200 sealant on the screw threads but I also heard to put it on the bottom of the rub rail. Now are y'all talking about the bottom of the main rail frame that is screwed to the boat or the bottom of the rubber insert that you had to take out to get to the screws? I hope that doesn't sound confusing.

Not confusing at all. You need to seal the metal bottom of the rub-rail housing on the underside where it meets the fiberglass of the hull after it is all put back together. Not the rubber rail itself. The factory does and there should be some remnant of the original still there. I never re-sealed mine but probably should have. My original silicone sealant came off pretty easily and quickly after I got the boat but I never had any leakage problems. I tried the silicone on the threads but they continued to back out anyway. If I had kept the boat I would have gone a size up and added more in-between the original ones. Stainless steel screws of course. It is amazing how much more "solid" your boat will feel after getting this done.

TOXIC

Do I need to loosen al the screws and then put the sealant and sandwich it under the rail or just go ahead and tighten everything and then just put a bead under the railing?

Up to you, I would just seal the bottom after it is all put together. Thin bead smothed out with a finger. Make sure it is clean and you get a good seal.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back