70 or 80 #

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonnie Current

Reaction score
I am replacing a MG 71#thrust 1995 model on my '95 Nitro 20' dc with 200 hp. Going to a Minn Kota. the 71 #trust MG moves this boat ok. First, would I be ok with replacing it with a new 70 # or would the 80# be worth the extra money? I'm over hill age wise myself and do not fish tournaments. Secondly the '95 Nitro was wired for a 12/24 volt. The current MG is a straight 24 volt. there are four wires, 2 black - and one red, one orange + from batteries to TM. Both + wires passing through a 40 amp cb each. Will the new TM, 70 or 80, hook up just like the current motor, red to red and black to black from motor to plug?
Thanks

Make it easy on yourself, only 2 wires to TM plug to make it 24v, jumper it at the batteries rather than at the plug. Your current setup has a bar that connects in the plug to jumper it. This diagram I'm posting is from Jones Trolling Motors who's probably one of the best at wiring harness plugs and wiring TM's I know. Ignore P1 for your application

61.jpg

Before you decide you should know the 70# MK requires a 50A breaker & 10awg wiring (8awg over 30 ft run), the 80# MK requires a 60A breaker & 8awg wiring (6awg over 30 ft run). That being said, my old rig had a 70# MK Powerdrive w/CoPilot, the new one I rigged an 80# Terrova IPilot. The difference in power and energy consumption is astounding with the 80#.

Ditto what he said. No one ever regrets having more power- outboard, trolling motor , tow vehicle etc.............

More is always better... I have a little 640LX with a 75 MG and I loved it... I fish on lakes with a lot of grass and this 75 take me anywhere;) and in open water I don't need to move it from speed #1:) it move my boat with so little effort and as Toxic said your batteries will thank you cause you would be able to moved around with less effort= less drain of power.

Thanks everyone. I got the 80 with the 60 amp breaker which is what is recommended. My boat is wired with 6 gauge wire. 2 new batteries are ordered and on the way. I should be in business.

The 80# is on with two new batteries every is great. Thanks for the help. You are all right.

Latest posts

Back