5'6" Rod for T-Rigging?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Sullivan

Reaction score

Morning all...

I'm only 30 years old, but I guess I am old school when it comes to rod length for baitcasting setups. I've spent my entire fishing life (about 20 of my 30 years) with 5'6" baitcasting rods, with the exception of a rod for deep diving crankbaits and a rod for flipping.

About a year ago, my old fenwick MH worm rod finally died on me, and I've been trying to operate with a 6'6" rod since then - it ain't working. I feel all out of sorts whenever I'm trying to fish a Texas rig on a longer rod, and I've gotten away from one of my favorite ways of fishing.

So, I've done a little research, and I'd like to get you all's input on these rods, as well as any others that I haven't found. My biggest concerns are: (1) sensitivity; (2) hook setting power; and (3) comfort - specifically, how these rods feel versus a true pistol grip. Price is not a huge concern at this point, because I am so desperate to find a decent replacement for my old rod. Also, I fish primarily with 1/4 oz and 3/8 oz weights, for what it's worth.

Here is what I've found:

Shimano Crucial CRC59MH - this is actually a 5'9" inch rod, MH, and rated for 3/8 oz to 1/2 oz lures. (could I get away with a 1/4 oz weight on this rod?)

G. Loomis BCR663 - this is a 5'6" MH rod, rated for 3/16 oz to 5/8 oz lures.

All Star Rods BCM or BCH - both are 5'6" rods, but neither is a MH; the medium probably won't work, and the heavy is rated for 3/8 oz to 3/4 oz baits. Also, I am not familiar with this manufacturer.

Any help would be much appreciated...

Sean

I think you are so used to your short rod that the longer rod is just feeling different to you.

The longer rod should be the better rod for Fishing a Texas rigged worm. A 6'6" MH rod should be the ticket for hook setting power, the longer rod allows you to move more line and drive the hook thru the body of the worm. It will also absorb the shock when you really nail one. You should be able to feel the bite as well and if you hold the rod tip high you will see the bite alot of the times before you feel it. Unless you are set on buying a new rod I would save the money and give the longer rod more time. But that is just my opinion. I know thats not the answer to your question. Nice to hear from another die hard worm fisherman however.

I suggest that you go with a 7' rod and a change in your fishing shoes....

monstershoes.jpg

:lol::p:lol:

Sorry, it's been a crazy day. A 5'6" pistol grip worm rod is a tough find. BPS has the Bionic Blade in a 5'6" MH which might be stout enough. It's a decent rod. I have a 6' M pistol grip Bionic Blade that I use for shallow crankbaits but I prefer a longer...like 7' or 7'6" for fishing a T-rig worm. Have you looked at the Falcon Cara 6' 5 power pistol grip? I could see wormin' with that rod.

Hi Sullivan,

My .02 cents is fish with whatever rod makes you comfortable. You will have more confidence while fishing. But it wont hurt to see if you cant get used to a 6'6" MH. I hate the 7' rods. I loose all of my accuracy with them. I only have 1 for Crigging because all I have to do is chuck it way out there. Most of my rods are 6' and 6'6".

Mark

Hey guys...

First of all, to SoonerFan, LMAO at the boots. Is it weird that I start hearing Nancy Sinatra in the back of my head when I look at the picture? Also, Sooner, I am University of Miami alum, and I am looking forward to the home and home series with you guys. I'd love it if that could become an annual thing. The Gators are going to keep ducking us, just like they always do, and as we mount our comeback from the Coker era, I'd love for us to have some good out of conference opponents.

Back to rods...

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Maybe I'll check out the Bionic blade rod and see if it's any good. In terms of the 6'6" rods, here are the issues I'm having. Maybe you all will have some thoughts about them...

1. Feel - With 1/4 oz rigs, I am losing contact with the bait, particularly on longer casts. I guess I am just used to how a 5'6" rod feels in that situation. Any thoughts on technique that might improve my ability on a 6'6"? Also, I am fishing with standard mono (Trilene Maxx). Any thoughts on changing lines to improve sensitivity? I am not a big fluorocarbon fan, primarily because I like to throw a T-rig into the thick of things.

2. Hook set - Because I've used a short rod all of my life, I pretty much try to jerk the fish directly into the boat on the hookset. Jim C has seen it and can attest that I am not exaggerating. That doesn't work on a 6'6" rod, especially when you are only 5'9" like me. How should I adapt my hookset if I stick with the longer rod?

3. Rod Power - Is a medium power rod sufficient if I switch to a 6'6"? I've noticed that many of the MH 6'6" rods are rated for 3/8 oz rigs at the minimum, as opposed to 1/4 oz rigs. Presumably that means a loss of sensitivity at the 1/4 oz size, and given that I'm already having problems with feel, I'm sure you can see the problem.

4. Reel - Like I said, my short rod hookset is pretty hard. When I've used a longer rod, I've pulled line out when I set the hook, even with the drag as tight as it will go. As you can imagine, the fish usually get away when that happens. I was experimenting with a 6' rod yesterday and it happened with one of the Quantum Accurist Gold reels. Thoughts on a better reel setup?

Thanks again, everybody...

Sean

Don't get all hung up on what is printed on the rods. A MH 6'6'' is way better than a medium rod for worming. I use a 6'6" and a 7' rod for worming and can feel the bite fine. I just got my first baitcaster and it's a bionic blade 6'6" MH. Outside of the obvious problems of learning to cast a baitcaster I am having no problem with the feel or hook set on the bionic blade. We have fairly open water here and use no bigger than 10 pound test usually. We are tossing 1/8 oz rigs around and the cast and feel is fine. As for hook setting power I can tell you I really hit them hard. I have been known to break a rod or two on the set when fighting high wind and have to really move a lot of line and come up against a big fish and the drag doesn't give a little. As I said we usually go with spinning rods for worming but I am using the new rod (baitcaster) and still catching fish that way, in between birdsnests that is.

We also just use Trilene XL and don't have any problems with it.

I also hold my rod almost straight up this gives me better feel and I can see the bite also.

I never had any problem with a reel not working on the hookset unless I had the drag set wrong.

Also, Sooner, I am University of Miami alum, and I am looking forward to the home and home series with you guys. I'd love it if that could become an annual thing.

:eek: I still wake up screaming thinking about the last home & home our two schools had. The last time Miami came to Norman in 1986, the 'Cane defense broke Troy Aikman's leg (ending his career at OU) and we went on to win the National Championship with a true freshman QB and. Interestingly, this year we're starting a redshirt freshman QB with a true freshman at backup. :eek:

I'm so happy that football season is back...why can't they play all year?:unsure:

I hear you Sooner. My fall fishing season gets cut short because I spend Saturdays either at a UM game (I still have season tickets even though I live in DC) or parked on the couch. The NFL is nice and all, but I get fired up for the Canes.

QB is the biggest variable for us too. Both of our kids were huge recruits coming out of high school and neither has done all that well. Kyle Wright makes horrible on-field decisions and can't air it out to save his life. His longest completion is for 92 yards, but it was a one yard completion with 91 YACs by Sinorice Moss. Kirby Freeman, who is apparently our starter now, hasn't had much game experience. He threw some bad interceptions last year after Wright went down.

God I love football.

Sean,

During the game we'll have to go to the chat room and write obscenities to each other in CAPS! :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, it going to be a heck of a game. The speed of the Miami defense and the inexperience of our QB will make for some hair raising action. Our O line is in pretty good shape with a bunch of returning starters. Starting running back, Patrick, is nursing a sore ankle so you may get to see highly recruited freshman, DeMarco Murray. He will definitely be playing on Sunday after his Junior year. If our QB proves to be the stud he was in high school we could have a good year.

Sorry about the highjack of your rod thread. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back