300 Win Mag Round IV

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
Had a friend take time from his busy schedule to help me with some different loads for the Win Mag.
@ 100yds with 200 grain Sierrra BTHP and 66.8 IMR 4350. Best of five groups at 100yds. was a .552 other four groups not so good. at 200yds same load .742 and .672 best two out of ten groups. Wind zero value. 68 degrees air temp. The other eight groups under two inches but I'm really not consistent. Haven't shot rifle since early Dec of 2013. I also Lack the skill to recognize what I'm doing when I get a good group. I need to bring one of my .308's to shoot as a control.
It was announced that SW Iowa will start building a new shooting park about fifteen miles from my house. All disaplines including archery. http://www.wisspar.com/ I get all mushy thinking about it.
fatrap

Do you have access to a Chronograph? That .552 group (how many shots?... clean bore/cold bore?...) "could" be encouraging. A shade smaller (.400<) should be possible with your setup. Wish I was there to help/watch...

I love the challenge of working up a load.

Also, don't get too frustrated until you have 400-500 rounds down the pipe. Keep checking EVERY screw. bolt after every 50 rounds or so.

Good luck.

I have a "Chrony" but didn't set it up. I would love to have someone who can really shoot, shoot this set up and see how it works for them. I did bring all my wrenches and screwdrivers etc and finally nothing was loose after about 30 rounds. One problem was my bullseye was for 100yd targets and was almost invisible in the scope at 200. The reticle coverd the dot. My scope is a 4x16 milldot/dash. I don't really like using wildly high magnifications as things really get "shakey" viewing downrange even with a shooting bag as a rest. My club is mostly populated by .22 benchrest shooters that are in their lated seventies or eighties. I'm a young guy there. Not a lot of advice there. I have about 145 rds through the tube.
fatrap

Look into a rest like a lead-sled... Some of those orange stick on dots for aiming points.... 2" for 200 yards....

Latest posts

Back