2016 Nitro Z20 Porpoising At Lower Rpm And Speeds

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I own a Nitro 2016 Z20 and I have issues with the boat wanting to porpoise at speeds between 20-45 mph even with the trim set somewhat below halfway up. Although, it runs as smooth as silk at 50 - 70 MPH, trim at half way or a touch above but never higher. Anyone have a similar issue? It has a Mercury pro XS 250 with an atlas Jackplate and a fury propeller.

Last edited:
I have a Z20 and it does the same thing at half trim at those speeds, you have to have the trim all the way in and trim up just a little at a time. Also your weight distribution might have something to do with it

I have a Z20 and it does the same thing at half trim at those speeds, you have to have the trim all the way in and trim up just a little at a time. Also your weight distribution might have something to do with it
Have you found a sweet spot with your trim at different speed especially lower speeds? Do you run a jackplate as well? If so, have you a nice sweet spot there as well? I feel I have to trim down more than any of my other previous boats. At higher RPM and speed it runs great right around half way trimmed up, but lower speeds I have to really nose down on the trim to keep from proposing. It's very frustrating!

Weight in my boat is pretty even, still probally more in the back because of the motor/power poles but I usually have a good amount of gear up front all the time.

Thanks for the info. It's nice to know I'm not the only person having this issue on the Z20

Yes I have a Hyd. jack plate 12" set back running flat out i have the trim all the way up as far as it can go. At slow speeds the trim is mostly trimmed just off all the way in and most of the weight is in the rear 3 batteries, oil tank, power pole pump,battery charger. This is my second Nitro my other one did the same thing. Still a great boat any way.

Latest posts

Back