2008 Tracker V17 WT Porpoises during acceleration?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdunston

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and thought this might be a good place to ask this question? I purchased a 2008 Tracker Pro V17 WT,115 Optimax outboard and it porpoises terrible while getting up on plane. I would like to add trim tabs to the back of the boat. What is the transom like on the boat? Can I screw into the transom to mount the trim tabs? I can't seem to find information on the construction of the transom? Thanks

I'd try a dolphin on the cavitation plate. I know several people running this exact setup. They have no problems. This leads me to believe the motor isn't mounted correctly or you don't have the right prop. Knowing tracker as I do I'd seriously avoid drilling anything but a transducer mount to the transom area. Readjust your load out if possible. Does it porpoise with a full gas tank? with someone sitting on the front deck?, rear deck? are you trimmed all the way under(down) are you dropping the hammer or easing the throttle forward? Lots to consider before you plug in the drill. Hopefully someone with this rig will chime in on the size prop their using and how their rig handles.
fatrap

;)
I am new to this forum and thought this might be a good place to ask this question? I purchased a 2008 Tracker Pro V17 WT,115 Optimax outboard and it porpoises terrible while getting up on plane. I would like to add trim tabs to the back of the boat. What is the transom like on the boat? Can I screw into the transom to mount the trim tabs? I can't seem to find information on the construction of the transom? Thanks

You are trimmed down and fully tucked under while starting off, aren't you? If you are not your porpoising could very well be self inflicted. You'll want to start off trimmed down all the way, then as you gain speed and free your hull from the water surface you'll then want to trim bit by bit until you hit your running surface (the pad on many hulls), making minor trim adjustments for speed and handling from there after getting on pad. To start off any other way is a recipe for problems out of the hole, if not worse. Good luck! ;)

Dan has it right. It had been so LONG since I had a bass boat, I did the same thing but I couldn't turn my head far enough (bad neck) to see where I had it trimmed, so put it all the way down and go by RPM's, motor sound and speed if on GPS to get it right on the sweet spot.

Latest posts

Back