2008 Silverado 1500 LT Z71, opinions please

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avery Gilliland2

Reaction score
I am considering trading my 07 ford f-250 diesel crew cab for 08 Silverado crew cab Z71 4x4. Please tell me what I can expect for gas milage and overall performance, including towing. The employee pricing and 5000 rebate makes this truck very attractive, just need opinions. I will be towing a Nitro 591. Thanks in advance, Gilly

My opinion. Its a very nice tow vehicle. I have an 06 z71 and other then the multi displacement system on the 5.3l the driveline is pretty much the same. I have the 5.3l and i get ~15 in the city and close to 20 freeway unloaded and ~15 towing my z7 on the freeway. Overall the towing performance is great, unloaded it moves very well for a full sized truck. Its not in the same class towing as a diesel but mine moves my boat with ease.

I have a 2008 Silverado LT Ext. Cab 2wd which I use for work and to tow my 591. The truck has the 5.3 V-8 with the fuel management system that shuts down 4 cylinders on light loads. I'm very pleased with the gas mileage. Since e-10 ethanol has become the norm around here I get about 16.2 to 16.7 mpg on my drive around town which combines freeway driving with lots of poking around new housing additions. Towing gas mileage depends alot on speed and terrain. A couple of months ago I took a trip over to Lake Eufaula in eastern Okla. It was a very long and hilly drive and I stayed up with traffic running 75+ mph. Gas mileage suffered down around 13 mpg. On the other hand this past Saturday I took it easy at 60 to 70 mph with less hilly terrain and gas mileage was much better at 15.5 mpg.

Overall I'm very happy with the Silverado. It's very comfortable. I love the XM radio and the dual zone automatic climate control. On hot days I really appreciate the remote start so I can have the A/C already blowing cold when I get in. I think the only thing I would do different is the color.... the only time the black looks good is when it's in the car wash.

The New Rig2.jpg

You'll love it!! I have a '07 Z71 with the 4.8 V8 in it.......I get 18-19MPG on the highway w/cruise on............and 12-13 pulling a boat. It rides like a car and looks almost exactly like Sooner's pix! (I have a tonneau cover on mine.....helps w/mileage).

Mac

Gilly,.....I can get you that Z71 at "Employee cost"...the program starts up again tomorrow (Weds)and I got an email from another NTOWS member looking for a hook-up too...I'll be glad to help you if you can wait a day......it'll save you a few grand!! (All I need from you is your birthdate and zipcode!!);)

Mac hate to point this out, but a tonneau cover actually hinders the mileage some what. I still had one on my Ram cause I locked items in there.

Forgot where I read that, I think it was a test in one of the auto magazines.

Randy!

Tonneau covers IMPROVE gas milage. GM is coming out with an extended fuel pick-up soon. 2WD only, 5.3L, aluminum wheels, lowered suspension and a tonneau cover for aerodynamics.

I have owned trucks with and without.

I can guarntee they save in the long run and protect your stuff from the elements.

And before anyone satrts bad mouthin' soft tonneau covers...my Silverado has the original I bought in 99' and just now needs replaced.

@ $169 I didn't go wrong;)

Oh and BTW...Mythbusters did a test that was inconclusive?:wacko:

It is simple aerodynamics. All the chages I outlined above only gave the 2WD Silverado a 1 MPG difference. But as you said in the long run 1 MPG is a BIG difference.

You will surely appreciate the improvemnt in gas mileage Glenn!

Pullin' cosistent 19 MPG with a RCSB Sierra with my Tracker.....

Starting tomorrow the employee pricing for anyone is coming back :) It must be working.

GM to Bring Back Employee Prices

Detroit News

By Greg Bensinger

Aug. 19, 2008

General Motors Corp., whose U.S. sales fell 18 percent this year, will offer prices usually available only to employees as well as cash discounts of as much as $4,000 on most 2008 and some 2009 models, a dealer said.

The U.S. offers, planned to coincide with GM's 100th anniversary, begin Wednesday and will run to Sept. 2, said Steve Lowry, sales manager of Plaza Pontiac-Buick-GMC in Omaha, Neb., in an interview Monday. John McDonald, a spokesman for Detroit-based GM, confirmed the program without giving details.

"This has the effect of pulling demand ahead for customers who were already considering buying a GM vehicle, so there's going to be a bit of a hit in later months," said Dennis Virag, president of Automotive Consulting Group Inc. in Ann Arbor. "GM has a lot of inventory right now, though, and they are trying to bring out new 2009 models."

The largest U.S. automaker is trying to spur sales, even as it seeks to hold down incentive costs, in what may be the weakest U.S. car market since 1993. GM's sales decline through July was wider than the industry's 11 percent fall, and the firm posted a $15.5 billion second-quarter loss.

The automaker hasn't posted an annual U.S. sales gain since 1999 and may be headed for its seventh straight monthly decline in August.

Employee discounts vary by vehicle and bring the price closer to the dealer's invoice amount. A Buick Lucerne sedan, for example, is $25,872 for employees, compared with $28,040 as the usual base starting price, Lowry said. GM, in addition to the employee price, is offering a cash discount of as much as $1,750 on the Lucerne, he said.

"When GM did this three years ago, we more than doubled our sales that month," Lowry said of the so-called employee prices. "Here's hoping we can repeat that."

GM, Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler LLC have offered employee pricing for all buyers in the past to pump up U.S. sales. When the offers ended, sales plummeted.

The automaker lowered its average incentive per vehicle 3.9 percent last month from June, to $3,284, according to Autodata Corp. in Woodcliff Lake, N.J. The industrywide average fell 1.4 percent to $2,773, Autodata said.

When GM rolled out employee pricing for June 2005, its U.S. sales surged 47 percent that month and 15 percent in July before tapering off. For the past several weeks the carmaker has been letting its U.S. employees extend their discounts on a one-time basis to friends or extended family.

The company's U.S. inventory of cars and light trucks rose by 11 days to an 82-day supply on Aug. 1 from a month earlier, compared with 69 days for the industry, according to trade publication Automotive News.

Update for those who've asked for Authorization numbers,....you don't need 'em now!!

Just go to the dealership and find your vehicle of choice and plop down the cheddar!

I can't believe some of the prices they were showing on the local news last nite.....GREAT time to buy a Tow vehicle!! They showed a couple Silverado's that were loaded and priced regularly at @ 30K marked down to @ 21K w/incentives and the employee discount!! Times will NEVER be better again!!

I may have to see what my local dealer has.

Although don't take this wrong Mac...I can't seem to get used to the new design on the front ends...GMC or Chevy. Of course that wouldn't deter me from buying new...I could customize as usual:cool:

Yep....lotsa aftermarket stuff available to trick'em out any way you'd like!!;)

My 04 was not a favorite design with John Q Public either but I have growen to like it. Especially now because it is different. At the time I couldn't have cared less. I needed a mule and it didn't matter what it looked like as long as it could pull.

TOXIC

Tox - Don't worry how the front end looks. Folks are mostly seeing the back end anyways! :rolleyes:

I preferred the grill on the GMC better myself but the GMC dealers were all just a little too proud of their trucks. It's funny, I was always a Ford guy. Back when i was a NASCAR fan I was Ford all the way... Davy Allison, Bill Elliott, and Alan Kulwicki were my favorites. Hated Earnheart (of course I hated to see him get killed :( ) Anyway, I think it funny that I ended up with a black Chevy.:rolleyes:

I just think someone (Mac) could have come up with a better looking front end. And what is this lately anyway...they all do it. Just like that yota and furd (fugly):wacko:

Just like a stinkhole...everybody has one:lol:

An old man I used to work for told me... " Driving a Dodge is like'seducing'(only that's not the word he used) a fat girl.... it's ok to do it, you just don't want to go to town and brag about it." :lol::lol::lol:

lol harpo too funny.

Glenn,

I went thru a Dodge phase too. I had a 2000 GMC that was problematic compouonded by complete dealer incompentence. When i dumped it in 02 i decided to try something different and got my Dodge. I liked the Dodge when i had it mostly. The good points: comfy,rode and drove nice, looks were great. The bad: My lawn tractor has more low end torque then the 4.7l v8, the brakes were terrible and warped rotors almost instantly, it overheated constantly after 30k(and continued too after new heads, radiator, water pump, etc), the front suspension was noisy, drank gas like its 1968 without the power to show for it. After it began to overheat on the coldest day in Janyary i decided it was time for a new truck. I kept an open mind and looked at every full sized truck out there. I ended up in the Chevy i drive today for a number of reasons. The biggest being it was the truck i felt the most comfortable driving. Until that Dodge i have always had GM's (with one ford mistake along the way mixed in) and the second i got behind the wheel it just felt familiar and comfortable. The Chevy dealer was also the only one i felt was even remotely honest and the only one that offered me fair value for my Dodge in trade. Over 2 years and 50k later i think i made the correct choice. My silvy has been about as solid a truck as i could have ever asked for.

Glenn,

I havent seen anything of the sort of mine(since im super anal about taking care of my stuff id pick it up quick if it happened). Not to say it cant or wont happen but nothing to date. I havent heard of anyone else with that issue either, i know quite a few guys that own the 5.3l. A good friend of mine has one that has well over 150k on it and I dont think he has had this problem either, Im not 100% sure but i can ask him. Actually i dont think he has had anything done to that motor short of regualr maint like oil, plugs and the belts.

I dont know if it makes a difference on any coolant leaks but i have a 5.3 HO in mine thats the all alumimum block deal.

Hey Glenn, I hope you know I was just bustin' you stones a little. Hopefully no offense was taken because none was intended. I thought it was just a funny thing an old guy I used to know said. Your truck is very sharp. Very much like the one my tournament partner last year had. His was a 3/4 ton 4x4 the same color. I traveled around all over the state in it and it was a very comfortable truck.

I looked at every truck out there and decided on the Chevy mostly because of gas mileage. I had just put 214,000 miles on a Jeep (Chrysler product) and was mostly ready for a new look. I had heard the same thing about the 4.7 and didn't want to feed a Hemi. The Ford didn't turn me on at all. The Nissian Titian looked good but it too is a gas hog and I just wasn't going to pay the premium for a Toyota. Plus I couldn't do that to my bro's from the Northcountry.

Nice truck, will tow your boat with no problems, carry spare running light bulbs, get the employee discount from Michigan Mac. Happy motoring!

Nice Truck Glenn!!...Except for the hood, it looks just like my chebby!! :wub: We all know everyone's passionate about their "rides".....Cass loves her Dodge too!! One of my FAVORITE things about this site is the fact we can all bust each other's stones about one thing or another and nobody get's PO'd..(well...not too much anyway!!..LOL) Heck,...if I worked for Ford or Chrysler and could offer their perk's to everyone here, I'd do that too!! Ya'll have 'till Sept. 2nd to get a NEW ride at employee prices!! So, Giter-done!!

The main reason I stick with my GM's is I CAN WORK ON THEM!:lol:

Parts are cheaper and still better lookin' IMHO.

Even Mac can tell you that I'm not dedicated....just anal.:lol:

I agree with the others, one of the great things about this site is the honest feedback, and no bashing, and we're all friends in the end (Even that guy in MI who drives a RANGER !!! LOL).

Oh and Gilly - Just get a Hemi!! LOL Smack Mac!!

new car.jpg

Tee - Wife's shot with her cell phone of the porch. I'm leaving Seoul in 13 hours and MAN can't wait to slide into her (the car that is) and feel a V-8 under my feet! last V8 I owned was my '89 Mustang GT convertable, last one the family owned was Beka's '99 Dodge Ram Club Cab with the 5.9lt V8.

Be safe all my friends!

Trep

That's okay Trep....everyone makes mistakes,..I just hope you don't make a habit of it!! LOL

Well now Trep, you went there first with that innuendo ... but I'm going to let that straight line go.

Latest posts

Back