2005 Rally?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geo. Beason

Reaction score
Shirley just called and stated she was refunding my deposit. Seems the Rally has been cancelled?

Is it going to be rescehduled?

My Understanding is that there will not be an "official" NTOWS rally any more. But anybody that wants to form there own meet and greet among members and/or non-members are still welcome to.

BF

I know Rich pulled the plug on any official NTOWS rallies, but I thought Staci was still planning on having an unofficial one. Perhaps email her?

George and all others,

The 2005 "Party" at the Moors resort has been cancelled. Several factors came into play... The primary one was our desire to accomodate The Moors. They have been very "hospitable" to us in the past.

After our get together was planned and Shirly had allocated us a large block of rooms, the Moors landed an OLN televised head to head competition series to be based out of the resort. It was to begin the same weekend as our get together. Shirley called Stacey and asked if we could either confirm a definite number of rooms or release what we haven't "reserved". Staci conferred with several people and everyone contacted agreed that since we couldn't guarantee all of our rooms and this was a "once in a Lifetime" opportunity for the Moors we ought to step aside and let the Moors have their best shot at accomodating the OLN event.

We are looking into an alternative location in Southern Illinois, or elsewhere, to plan a Spring get together. More details soon. Also, you can certainly e-mail me with suggestions and ideas.

That is very understandable. The OLN event is going to be a great draw for the Resort, both this year and the future.

I live in Central IL. I haven't had the chance to get onto Rend Lake. They have campgrounds I know but if they have cabins or hotels nearby, maybe that could be a thought?

I would be up for an eastern/northern rally.If it's within 300 miles of Pittsburgh,count me in.

Steve/Tox - Just wait till you are FREEZING your butts off in Jan and have a North GA rally on Lanier!! It will be COLD most likely, 40's for the low, upper 50's for the High,but it will give you a chance to fish!!!

Trep

I agree with Bruce- Lake Anna or the Potomac ???

Anywhere within 700 miles works for me....but I could be persuaded to travel a little further.

Bob G.

We have already talked about Anna and the Potomac. Anna is too small and too tough of a fishery and the Potomac is too dangerous and would limit the size/type of boat. Anna also has no camping nearby (my sponsor marina could be persuaded into letting a group camp there though). 1000 Islands has been tossed around, some where midwest/north also. Let's open a discussion and get some ideas. There will be a get together in my future with some of the members regardless (MVM requirement!!LOL!!). If we can find a mutually agreeable spot and more can make it, so be it!!

TOXIC

Well,

Potomac is a good one, but like Tox said, will limit the boat size, expecally if it is nasty. What about Anna. me personally I do not overly care on the fishing at Anna. The company will make the trip for me. Plus, I can sleep in my truck :)

Bob, how far is Anna from you? less then the 700???

Gotta be the whole shebang CIII, good fishing (read easy)is important. I'd be more tempted to go to 1000 islands or somewhere else (you can still sleep in your truck!!LOL). We either gotta go north or south, I want to do a new lake. Anna would suck cause I would just win everything!!LOL!! Let's see what the MVM think of it after their trip down.

TOXIC

OK, South does sound pretty cool to me too. What about Kerr? Camping there. KB knows that area pretty good I think.

I have been there one time now :)

Probably gonna have to move it outta our backyard to get some participation. I would love it at Anna but I sure wouldn't if I was driving 10-12 hours to fish it.

TOXIC

I'm all for "neutral" ground!!..LOL....someplace that very FEW of us have been to,.....like the 1000 Islands area,...or maybe even Lk. Ontario....could even do the Bass Islands in Erie?!....I'm game for anything North or East...

Just as long as our tin brethern could participate....Erie and Ontario is definately big water. 1000 Islands??? How about somebody who knows of a "secret" lake in the 800 acre and up range? You boys in PA???? I will go South if need be (Dale Hollow??) but call it my Yankee upbringing 'cause I REALLY, REALLY, like the northern lakes. I'd even be willing to go back to Champlain........Let's keep throwing this around.

TOXIC

Okay. Not sure, but here seems to be a really good suggestion.

How about Dale Hollow in TN. This is the famed Dale Hollow which is supposed to be one of the best SM fisheries around. It's not that far from Nashville, and relatively close to I40. That means most can get there via major highway.

Lot's of resort/campground type of places, similar to the Moors.

Any takers?

Tex

If it's Dale...I'M IN!!!! And if you need any info I can get it. Of course you know your all gonna' be hurtin' if I'm there:)

Was there for a week ONCE in May,...15yrs ago......fished HARD for 5 days incl. hiring a guide for a day using LIVE bait!!.....we caught 2-3 fish in 5 days!!! I was NOT impressed with the Hollow after that...especially given it's "reputation" going into it.

But,..that was 15yrs ago and I know a little more about smallies since then!! LOL...I'd be willing to give it another shot....but there's better lakes in TN for smallies or so I'm told......like Douglas Lk ...accd'g to Bill Dance anyway, it's one of the BEST in the state for BIG smallies. Who really know's though...I've never fished it.

I'd go to to Hollow though,...but it all depends on the date and my schedule at the time...no matter WHERE we choose!!

Mac

I may make it if it's less then a full day's drive, Erie and the rest of the northern (including Ontario) lakes will take most of us Southerner's out of the picture. But, maybe in 2006 we'll do it in FL, GA or Alabama!!

There's NO WAY there is a better smally lake:) Trust me Mac I have fished since I was knee high to a grasshoppa':) 15 years ago...I would have trouble myself. The whole problem arose from people keeping big fish. Then they put a 2 fish 18" limit. Guess what? It didn't help...people were still taking larger fish from the lake even into the 90's.

Well TVA smartened up and put a one fish under 16" and one over 21". Well that put a stop to it quickly and it's been on the rebound eversince. It's still tough for most because of the clear water but, with a little know how it is by far and still #1. You'll hear differenet but, I have fished them all except Pickwick...which has a reputation all it's own even all three top smallies have come from Dale.

The last 5 years have been phenominal and the next 5 will show what Dale is really made of.

I think a few on this site would be humbled by what kind of skill level it will take to put that prize brownie in the boat:)

Matter of fact Mac...headin' back again next week to smackem' again!

Remember, this is a get together. Not a fishing TX. I personally don't want to go to a lake that if you are not "Locked-on" the fish, you spend a week with 4 or 5 fish. Not my idea of fun. I'd rather go to a more remote, less pressured lake that we could pattern quickly and get EVERYBODY on fish. Nobody goes on a fishing trip not to catch fish.

TOXIC

Less pressured? I doubt it...it doesn't get hammered any more than any other and being "locked in" on any lake is just to the advantage of someone who knows any particular lake.

Cool deal TEE,...good luck this weekend. I have no fear of clear water,...we have lakes all over MI where you can see the bottom in 25ft!! GIN Clear!! I'd give the Hollow another chance...especially knowing what I know now!! I was nothing but a largehead fisherman 15yrs ago!..LOL

Pickwick rocks though,....Chuck Economou, a good buddy of mine and Mini's...caught the BASS record for 5 smallies there...30+lbs!! AWESOME stringer!!

I agree with TOXIC. My schedule and the location are the main factors if I can attend, but it would be more attractive knowing everyone is going to catch fish and have fun. I have to use skill and lots of planning/thought in tournaments, when I'm fishing for fun I want STUPID fish.

BTW Mac, There was a five fish, 25# string of smallies caught this past weekend on Pickwick. (I did hear it was live bait though)

Tox, I think i mentioned Lake Winnipesaukee in NH the last time this came up. For what you are looking for it might be just right. Its not so big that the tin guys will have problems unless the wind blows really hard. The fishing is also good. If we hit it at the right time(mid-late june early july) the fishing can be unreal, both smallies and largies can be had and some good ones at that. I would think everybody could catch fish no matter what there. It is very clear water but the smallies are aggressive and easy to pattern, you just cant be afraid to fish deep water. And if they are shallow you can clean up on the senko :) There is a place called Ames farm inn that has cottages for rent and two boat ramps for launching and plenty of parking. They are very fisherman friendly and im sure they could help us out. Ther are also plenty of other places to stay in the area as well.

Just another suggestion to add to the list.
http://www.amesfarminn.com/

I don't agree TEE. Some lakes are a hard fishery period. Lake Anna is one. That is why I wouldn't want it there. Sure I could probably get on fish but 95-99% of the people that came to a rally there wouldn't. If you can say with a clear conscience that Dale will produce even for the less seasoned angler (given weather conditions, etc.) the I would say great!! Your comment " It's still tough for most because of the clear water" is what makes me think otherwise as well as "I think a few on this site would be humbled by what kind of skill level it will take to put that prize brownie in the boat:)" Personally, I want everyone to have a good time and catch fish. This, IMHO is not a trophy hunt. I can say that about Champlain...most everybody would get on fish with minimal effort or if some of us get the pattern figuired out, I can't about St. Clair......So my main consideration is that everybody gets on fish period. I also agree with Mac on the neutral ground theory so that everybody is motivated to help each other.

TOXIC

Carlos,

I'm about 600 miles from Anna and 1100 miles from Dale Hollow.

I agree with Toxic about having a get together where most people can get on fish so it's fun for everyone.

Winnipesaukee works for me, as does Champlain and Erie.

Bob G.

There is also Cave run in Kentucky

Bob - As much as i'd love to fish Champlain or Erie (but not in my boat) most folks are not willing to do what you did and spend the $$ to fly to one, though it takes a lot less time (depending on security at the airport). I know for me 2005 is going to be a HUGE increase at work, my budget is almost 80% larger next year, which means 80% more work by my folks and me. I do notice though that there are a lot of GA/FL/SC folks on the members board but don't seen to participate much, i'm thinking maybe a South East rally in the future. Maybe we do one in the North East, one if the South east, And other areas on the same weekend!

Trep

O.K....I'll make a deal with ya' Tox:) IF it's the holler...I'll make all info I know about the lake availible to all the NTOWS group INCLUDING Mac and YOU:)

And "I'm always on a trophy hunt fun or otherwise(unless I'm panfishin':)

Seriously tough...I'm open. I live pretty close to any you guys decide:)

Well if it's 100 islands I'm in. It's actually pretty centered for the north east guys. I'd even be willing to organize. The only thing to remember is that it would have to be a little later in the year due to the late season. Canada has some of the most un-pressured waters around. I can fish in any given lake or river and not see another boat all day. There are some pretty great smaller lakes within driving distance of 1000 islands as well, on the Canadian side. Plus all these waters will allow access to both big largies and big smallies.

Pierre

I'm with the common thread that I'd like to get together and Fish (along with some catching). If Dale Hollow is in fact that tough, that may not be the better choice to visit.

However, we probably need to also understand that almost anywhere we go, it's going to be strange and new to most of us. Generally meaning that fishing will be somewhat tougher that we sometimes find.

If it's within about an 8 hour drive (pulling a trailer), where I can use interstate most of the way, I'll participate.

I was going to suggest Guntersville (Alabama), but that 'seems' too far out for most, except the SE bunch.

Tex

It's not that tough at Dale really....clear water and clear skies..not good:(

Nasty overcast and a little wind....excellent:) It just gets tough when it's bright mostly. Guntersville is cool but, still you'll have the same problem with some being unfamiliar with the waters so keep em' comin':)

What is Cave Run like? I have heard of it and know it is on the KY/TN line, but never fished it.

Thanks TEE, I kinda thought you would. I'm just a stickler about catching, call it the guide in me. I have had people spend the day with me and have fun but not boat a keeper fish. Cake without the frosting is good but it could be better. Man-o-man do I hear the mapquest search engines going now!!LOL!! Hey, I have a feeling that this is going to work out no matter what. I am willing to drive a little further since I am set up for the longer trips. I will camp, or I will split a cabin with someone so I am flexible. I really like Pierre's 1000 islands and Canada idea (just keep the RCMP outta my hair), I even have some contacts there and I haven't fished it yet!! I have heard good things about it. My rule of thumb is that I gotta be able to drive there in 14-16 hours. That is a solid day on the road for me (although I have been known to pull an all-nighter).

TOXIC

Some suggestions in my parts.

Raystown..middle Pa.

Erie..N/w Pa.

Stonewall Jackson reserviour ...Wv.

I heard Raystown has some pretty good Smallies (look in bassmaster), what about NJ? just kiddin. But really what about, NY state? is that to far for you guys? There is Black Lake NY, Lake George in the Spring, there also another lake 15 minutes from Lake George village with cabins (cheap cabins) $500 and would fit many peeps. How about that lake Winnie in NH?

Tox, thanks for looking out for the tin guys, I didn't cross over to the dark side yet, Is Carlos's Nitro still for sale? HMMMM.

I would think PA would probably be the most centralized area for most of us to get to.

Just let me know when to start packing!!!

I've wanted to fish Guntersville for years.. There isn't much around my way that wouldn't scare the bejeebers out of most. The Nanticoke River is a great fishery (Tox and I fished one of the creeks) with all kinds of places to stay.

It's tidal however and I don't know how far it would be for most. It's located on the Maryland/Delaware line on the eastern shore. Plenty of creeks, laydowns, docks and piers,

Lilly Pads, grass, etc... The river can get rough but there are plenty of creeks and coves to get out of it. You won't catch any smallies but if the timing is right in the spring, you'll start giggling over the number of stripers latching onto your bass lures.

Just a thought.

Bill

Lake Onidea in NY is nice and has a real nice campground at the park ramp. Tent sites on the water, elec, heated showers and bathrooms. But if the wind blows it can get ugly and it has a lot of shallow shoals but also lots of nice fish even toothy ones...

BF

Let's all remember. If someone wants to do a rally (anywhere), just plan and invite. If too far South/North or West, it will limit the participation.

When some of you start talking about NY and NH, that eliminates any number of us. Just as it would if we start talking about Santee Cooper or Florida.

Tex

Pickwick is awesome...Pickwick Landing State Park...great facility...Also...Center Hill Lake just East of Nashville right off of I-40.....Dale Hollow would be good, I have never been there but want to go...LA

Raystown would be a very good pick for all around fun and no worry of boat size....loads of fish.

Erie would be neat but boat size is a big deal...my MV 16 draws the line at 4 footers...or is that .4 footers

Stonewall is good lots of nice camping.

As an FYI Pittsburgh is within a day (10hrs) drive of 85% of the US...

I really think Raystown would offer some good fishing and clean places to stay.

George

O.K....I'll change my vote to Pickwick:) As long as there's big smallies availible....I'm happy:)

Racer,

Thanks. Now that you mention it, I did read about it in my Muskie magazines. Of course, that works for me!

I agree with Tex, we can throw out ideas, but someone just needs to git r done, pick a lake and make arrangements.

Rich

I will, I am just waiting to get an idea where most will go. Just because you are willing to organize doesn't mean you shouldn't give consideration to getting the most participation.

TOXIC

CaveRun is not a lake I would pick for a rally... not nearly enough hotels/motels/facilities or even camping nearby...

It is a musky fishery, but leaves a lot to be desired for the rest of it... it can be a very fickle lake.

In Ky, I would go with Cumberland or Dale hollow...If for no other reason than the facilities, etc... (if we cant go to Ky/Barkley again)

Personally, I've always wanted to go to:

1. St. Clair

2. Pickwick

3. Table Rock

oncearacer52,

I'm in Lexington... usually fish Herrington and Cumberland...

Here are the real choices.

Deep East Texas, Livingston.

Deep Deep East Texas, Sam Rayburn

Really Deep Deep, East Texas Toledo Bend,

Or

South Texas, Amistad.

U could probably get Waypoint involved too.

Tox,

No problem, I didn't think anyone was organizing, just throwing out suggestions where to have it. One is no good without the other.

Rich

Come on Bryan. If we are coming to God's country to fish, then the lake discussion has to to start and stop with Fork.

Yes they have a slot limit, but most would agree, it's one of those places that most all Bass Anglers want to go to. However, Big Sam would certainly be a hoot, or Toledo Bend. Not fond of Livingston, even though I haven't been there in a long time.

Tex

Hey Did Rich D. just vollunteer??? Woo HOO Go RIch! LOL

Trep,

I volunteered earlier in the year to set one up at Raystown. About 5 people said they might possibly be interested in maybe going. I am more than happy to leave this in Tox's capable hands!

Rich D

OK I volunteer Rich D to come stay at my house and set up a South East Rally!!! LOL

Anyone interested in one in GA (Lanier or Allatoona) I could set it up. Though I would NOT mind trying some different lakes around this area (West Point, Weiss...) which I know zip about but would love to fish!

Hey, it's open to discussion. This should be a group decision. Me personally, I'm leaning to..............

ANYWHERE!!!! LOL!!

As long as I get to fish and meet good people.

Cause if I do it, there won't be diiner at the clubhouse, social hour, afternoon tea, or souffle for breakfast.

TOXIC

simnitro I live in Maysville now but I grew up about a mile from Herrington. Used to catch some jumbo Crappie there. But you have to fish it every day almost to learn it. Very trashy lake because alot of it is not very wide. Hard on boats. I sure did like it back then tho.

By the way I vote for Dale Hollow. Never been there, would like to go.

Tox,

This morning my Doctor cleared me to travel/tournament fish again!!!!! So anywhere and I'm there!

Ok how about Douglas Lake. You can catch pelenty of largemouth and then you could run up to the river and fish for smallies. Remember that a keeper smallie on this lake is 20" so that means tons or biguns'. Also Cherokee is about 30 minutes away and is loaded with smallies and stripers. Then there is the south Holsten River that is 100% smallie heaven.

As far as lodging goes Gator Point marina is located on the Douglas Lake and they have plenty of cabins to rent. Also I believe they rent and have a full service marina (kinda like Moores). If you wanted to rent a cabin you can usually get a 1 bedroom that will sleep 2 (pull out sofa) from a local reality company. They usually run about $100 give or take. I have pictures of one I can post if anyone is interested. Also I (more that likley)have access to a lake house close to Gator Point (3 miles away) that we could park boats/trailers or do some cookin'. Iam willin to help as much as I can (I travel alot), if everyone agrees on Douglas. Also if people like Bob G or Mac who are driving down from north, we could caravan and share the load of driving. Maybe meet up somewhere in Lexington?? Just a thought. I can get more info on Douglas/Pigeon Fordge area if we narrow it down that far.

Donnie

Ok, I'll add my 2 cents, Did a quick check on my mapping program, and found that Lake Murry in South Carolina would be some what of a central place for every one east of the Mississippi. in that area I looked and found that as the crow would fly it is 500 - 600 miles about 1000 miles for our group out of Ok. and Txs. I dont know anything about this lake maybe someone from the area will chip in with that info, but i think it would be a central location that would allow most of us to attend. Ok I gave 3 cents worth, what do you guys and gals think?

Murray in SC (Columbia) is a pretty good lake. Lot's of good LM there (and Stripers). It's a pretty big lake, and has grass beds in many areas.

There are certainly some decent areas for lodging around the lake. Not really from a resort/marina perspective, but motels that are very used to having boaters abound.

Dreher Island State Park has very good facilities, and is mid-lake. They also have some homes/cottages that can be rented.

Tex

Still seems to be some genuine interest in Dale Hollow. I'm going to post another message thread to see if we can simply judge who/how many might want to go to Dale Hollow.

Tex

Tex, I didn't post to your thread cause you only want positive confirmations. That zip code is 800 miles from me one way, that's worse than Kentucky Lake, sorry but I probably wouldn't go. Maybe the MVM will have something closer :)

700 miles from me but that is no problem. Let's see what the response is. I checked 1000 Islands (I just salavate at the nothern fish...SM, LM, Pike, Muskie, Walleye, Perch). My only problem is that the Bass season doesn't open till 06/27. I am in WI for 2 weeks over the 4th of july. Not really a "spring" trip up there.

TOXIC

Hey Guys - I'm not trying add confusion to this but I did a mapquest on some of members who have shown interest.

If we were to do Raystown Lake in Central PA, it would probably draw a large number of members.

Heres a breakdown.

MI - 440 miles

VA/MD - 200 miles

SC - 500 miles

GA - 700 miles

IL - 600 miles

Pittsburg - 125 miles

VT - 450 miles

MA - 450 miles

Raystown.bmp

I went to the website. It looks like a "recreational" lake. Tubes, water fleas, skiboats, etc.. BUT, if we go early enough in the season we would/should miss all of that mess. If I want to fish around jetskis and wakeboarders, I'll go to Anna!! Just something to keep in mind.

TOXIC

Raystown has been discussed in previous years... Always came down to a problem of getting accomodations for a "large" group. But, it is worth looking into...

Raytown looks good to me, as far as distance goes anyway.

Chris, when I looked at mapquest it was like 125 to 140 miles from Washington/Baltimore. Heck, I go that far to fish the eastern shore of MD sometimes.

Bill

Toxic is right.

Between Memorial Day and Labor day there will be boats everywhere.But it is a large lake with plenty of no-wake zones to get away from the crowds.

I am about two hours away and will dig up info on lodging such as cabins and such if people are interested.

Steve

http://raystownresort.com

Latest posts

Back