2003 640 LX

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Bertrand

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm up at my grandparents place in Northern New Hampshire and I need some help. My grandparents had an older Chris Craft ski boat and it's engine blew last summer, I've talked them into replacing it with a smaller bass boat. We found a leftover 2003 640 LX with a 75 Mercury two stroke within 30 minutes from our cottage up here. The dealership wants $12,500 for this rig as a package. I've never bought a new boat before, so I feel a little bit lost. I know the Nitro website and catalogs offer a lower price than this for a current 640, is 12,500 way too much for a leftover?

Let me know what you guys think. I'm out of here in a few weeks, so we've got to think in a hurry. Thanks in advance. Josh

With the 2005's about to come out, it's now a 2 year old boat, Josh.....

$11,750 + freight and rigging is what a 2004 640LX / 75 hp would sell for.....

$12,500 is just way too much.

I'd guess that it might sell for under $10,000 or thereabouts at this point.

If you get much big boat traffic on the lake, you might want to consider a larger boat.....

me!

All of that stuff has occured to me. I've tried talking his down twice but he keeps telling me that 12,500 is the cost of that boat and I'm allready getting a good deal buying it at cost. This boat wont be on big water, mostly on the 350 acre lake my grandparents live on with a few trips to larger lakes. We'd go with an alluminum but we'll also occasionally be using it to tow skiers as well. I think it'll be just the perfect boat for thier needs. Any ideas on how I can talk this guy down. Josh

Walk away from him.

Then call Bob Bourget at Marine USA in Worcester, Massechusetts at 800-370-2628. He's a member of this board, a Nitro Dealer and Very Good People!

P.S.

Your grandparents are probably about my age - 54. Unless they are REALLY into fishing, they would probably be happier with something like a fish 'n ski..... You know, something with a bit deeper V and windshields and cover for their heads...... Emphasis on the windshields and cover for their heads!

You're only going to be there a short time - get something that will give pleasure to many more people and their interests.

Whats up Josh!! Good to hear from yeah.

How has the fishing been?

Not too sure about the boat. Good luck!

Josh - Print out the prices directly from the nitroboats.com site for a 2004 boat and SHOW him exactly what a new one costs and also print the freight/rigging prices to come to a full price. Did his price include any extra's he rigged on the boat?? Extra/Upgraded electronics? Spare tire and mount? anything else? Just show him what you found and then ask him why anyone would pay that same price for a 1 year older boat?

Trep

TWO years older, Michael.

The 2005's are about here;

It's two years now.....

OK staci just change my last sentence to " Just show him what you found and then ask him why anyone would pay that same price for a 2 year older boat? ". Since Tracker defines the national price and the discounted non-current price there is no wiggle room. Now if the dealer wants to move the boat he can say "I can't move on the base price, but let's talk warranty, upgraded electronics, extras and the like..."

Thanks Patt for confirming staci and my advice, nice to know we've actualy LEARNED something on this site in 4+ years!!! LOL

Thanks for the input everyone. The fishin's great BJ, putting some of the stuff I learned out west to work up here.

I'll print that out like you said trepman.

The boat is going to be the standard package Nitro advertises in the catalog, nothing extra. I might also add that I saw this boat sitting on that lot last summer and maybe longer than that. We stopped to check it out figuring they would give us a deal to get it off their hands.

How about this? We go into the dealership and tell them we'll give them 11K for it, if they say no we walk away? Still too much?

Josh

Josh -

I didn't realize that even a franchised Dealer couldn't negotiate a price at all on non-current inventory until Pat posted.

I still don't think I'd pay that kind of money for a two year old 640..... No..... Let me rephrase that..... I WOULDN'T pay that kind of money for a two year old 640. There are just too many very good, used boats that are larger with more power out there for about the same price.

For your grandparents' sake (says the old person) see what you can find in the way of a good fish 'n ski.

me!

P.S. Now that Pat has explained the rules, I apologize to the Dealer if my comments came off as disrespectful of him. I'm sure he would LOVE to move that boat out of his inventory.....

Latest posts

Back