2002 Mercury Optimax - 200hp - help/advice

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvfishing

Reaction score
All,
I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for some advice/help with a potential boat purchase. I'm looking to purchase a new boat with a 2002 200hp Optimax with roughly 490 hours. I have compression info.

Compression by cylinder.
#1 - 108
#2 - 108
#3 - 110
#4 - 120
#5 - 112
#6 - 108

I haven't been able to track down definite specs, but one related thread suggested "normal" operating range being from 90-110 psi. I questioned this given all six cylinders are near or above top threshold. Does anyone have additional information experience?

In addition, the rule of thumb I was always told was net variation across cylinders greater than 15psi is troublesome. Based on what the compression above I'm looking at 12psi variance. Would most consider that acceptable/good or nearing the point of concern?

Lastly, total hours don't seem all that high but I'm interested in others perspectives. Again, my non-mechanic rule of thumb I've heard is that most 2-stroke outboards should have a normal life expectancy of 1500-2000 hours (equivalent of 100k miles on a car). Obviously there are many flavors - some guys blow a powerhead in 100 hours and others run the same motor w/o major repair for 2500+.

I also have the serial # if someone has access to a merc-certified diagnostic terminal.

If you can provide any advice or information that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Yes, post the serial number and welcome to the forum. Don of European Marine is very knowledgeable and I've seen him comment before I'm almost positive on this same motor (model/hp) . First off, there's only ONE sure method of getting compression results of a motor. http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-...performing-compression-tests.html#post2534330

For that motor, its 110-135 psi, with a maximum variance of 15 psi (when compression done correctly)

Thanks Charles. The compression test was ran be a certified mercury dealer and service center. I dont know the details of how they ran the test, but I hope they followed protocol. Seeing the range you provided it would appear most cylinders are low.

Also, I'm aware of the issues with Optimax's from 2000-2002. Merc released a number of service bulletins with mechanical updates to address the issues. How extensive those issues are I'm not sure. For those familiar, is that enough to steer you away from that year of Opti altogether?

The serial number is as follows - 2000OPTI0T471199

Good Morning Ryan;
The compression numbers look “ok”, but a more accurate tell-tale would be a leak-down test. If it’s a Marina they should have the gauges to perform the task. Look for leak-down not-to-exceed 5-8%. Check gearcase fluid for any signs of metal contamination. User hopefully stayed with Merc oils or “better”. 490 hours is not a bunch of hours, and I’ve seen Opti’s in the thousands.
As far as product history, that motor has had no previous warranty related issues short of a “fix campaign” that was not performed, and has since expired, referencing service bulletin number 2004-099. Strange, I cannot find that number anywhere in the data-base. I’ll look further later.
Please remember that any customer expense related failures will NOT be logged in the Merc data base. If the powerhead blew up and it was replaced I would not know that. Request a CDS printout of operating parameters from a qualified dealer. If I can be of further assistance do not hesitate to inquire. If you decide to buy, remember to use a fuel additive on a continual basis.
Best;
Bob

Yes use a fuel additive, I had to have all the fuel lines, filter and pump replaced on my 07 200 opti due to the previous owner not using it, the ethnol ate the insides of the fuel system in only 99 hours!!

Bob,
You mentioned a fuel additive. I run the Mercury Quikcleen in all gas, is there another you would recommend for a 2006 200HP Opti. Mine runs good ,no problems.
thanks,
Brantley

Latest posts

Back