2000 Tracker Deep V 16 Not Running

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Shaffer

Reaction score
Just bought a 2000 Tracker Pro Deep V16 with the 75hp Mercury on it. Took it to Erie this weekend started having trouble with it. Would just shut off while up on plane but would start back up acted like it was running out of fuel replaced the fuel line with new bulb and put in new set of plugs. still doing the same thing. but now it doesn't want to idle or when you put it in gear it shuts off. If it does start back up it was smoking bad like it was getting to much oil. I did notice that one time it was just sitting there and it tried to start by its self. I was thinking that the ignition switch is going bad, but would that cause my running problems ?

Doug, boat info won't help in this. Now its possible you might have some electrical problems with the main control harness and they'll need to be addressed. However the MOTOR is the problem. You've identified a fuel problem at least. Plugs won't change much if you're having fuel issues.

What I do need is your motor's SN, so we can correctly identify the motor you have and what components are involved. Either that or join BBC and post your motor symptoms and SN in the Mercury Forum as Don Weed is the best there is at helping folks with their Mercury motors.

Since you just bought this bought and had issues right off the bat, I suspect this boat was not well maintained (especially the motor). We will need to systematically go through it OR just bite the bullet and take it to a Mercury Certified Premier shop and have it gone over. Sounds like you have several issues.

I will get the SN tonight. When I bought the boat we put it on the local river and ran for over 5 miles and never had any problems. The boat is in really good shape the motor is suppose to have very few hours on it. and the guy I bought it from has owned it since new. He told me that it had a new ignition control module put on it last year at the dealership. I had to put a new fuel sending unit in it and didn't see any problems with the lines on the tank. I did notice when I changed the plugs they had oil on them. I know the Johnson on my bass boat had the VRO pump go bad and was pumping to much oil in to it and it was a bear to get started and didn't run for crap.

How long has the gas been in the tank? Any chance there water in there?

The "start by itself" think sure sounds like an electrical short.

Ok got the SN for the engine its OTO52331. I checked this evening and one of the coil packs had been replaced. when it tried to start on its own the key was in the run position while sitting at the dock. the ignition switch feels a little hinky so going to try and find a new one and put in it. anybody know where to find them? I pulled it out but cant find a number on it. When I replaced the sending unit in the gas tank the gas smelled good but will have to pump some out in a jar to check for water.
Thanks for the help guys.

Did you treat the gas with Stabil Storage or Mercury Quickstor for any gas that's going to be stored for over 30 days without use? If you didn't, then that'll be considered OLD gas which will burn poorly. I even have a lawn mower that won't run on old gas (and much easier to drain). However THAT could be mixed with 75% fresh gas to burn in mowers but NOT in your outboard.

On the ignition switch, you'll need to determine what type of leads are on it. Or you can call and give them your SN what kind of controls you have etc and they'll fix you up. http://www.europeanmarine.org/contactus.html

Your motor info
CURRENT ENGINE SELECTED:
MAKE: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -MERCURY
TYPE/HP:- - - - - - - - - - - - - 75
Serial Number/Range: - - - 0T052331
Model Number: - - - - - - - - 1075412WN

Well she purrs like a kitten at lest sitting here in the driveway. completely drained gas tank,all new hose's and bulb, fresh gas with a can of Sea Foam in it. Rebuilt the fuel pump did find a gasket with a crack in it inside the pump so I'm hoping that was the problem. also put in a new ignition switch. Now if it would quit raining so i can put it on the river to see how she runs.
Thank for all the help guys.

Well since It is still Raining here and the river is muddy I haven't got to put it in the water yet ARGGGG Hopefully will get it in next week.

Finely got to take the boat out and see how she ran. It ran good only problem it had was some times it would quit while idling but would start right back up. It has another problem that I can't figure out while on plane it has water shooting up the transom I have tried trimming the motor up and down and it still does it. I don't see what is making it do that. I took some pictures of it if I can figure out how to put them on here.

There is one transducer. but it is coming from both sides of the engine I have looked it all over and can't figure it out. even had my son laying on the back deck trying to see what was causing it.

Latest posts

Back