2 Cranking batteries?

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Guys - After 2 years of 2-3 times/week use my Walmart Everstart Cranking battery is dieing, had to in the cold water on Saturday pull/push her onto the trailer (luckily she died at the dock/ramp!). So i'm researching new batteries, i'll definetly jump from a group 24 to group 27 cranking battery. But, my question is - Since my existing battery is not completely dead, just won't last a whole day when i'm using the livewell and fish finder and radio... is it worth keeping it and putting it in with a new batter to give me even longer life on the water for my electronics, like you do with 2 batteries for a 12vlt trolling ??? Or keep it wired seperately just for electronics and have a seperate starting battery? Or save the weight and just pay the $5 disposal fee??

Trep,

For what it is worth (my opinion...lol) get a new battery and don't look back. However, try the product on the website below... I have had at least two trolling batteries last over 5 years... (one made 7 years)
http://www.batteryde-mister.com/

Im with Greg, i would just replace the dead one with a new one and be done with it.

That being said, the jump to a group 27 is a good one if you want to be able to run your electronics and radio without worry. Make sure you get a dual purpose start/deep cycle and you will be good to go.

My opinion on battery brands is pretty well documented here so i'm not at all shocked that the neverstart only lasted you two years. Personally i would rather pay for a quality battery and not have to worry about it. I have a Cabelas AGM battery(made by Deka) as my starting battery right now and its been super good.

Another thing i can suggest for the boat toolbox is an inexpensive pair of jumper cables. You could have easily jumped it off the trolling battery if you had some on board.

WOW, just went to the site...got an error message but then clicked on where it said home page and it went to site.....great site for information about the product and since I have some old batteries it's worth a try...key is to make sure your battery doesn't have a bad cell or it won't work as said in the demo....I have used hydrometer's for a long time with helping me to decide about replacing....thanks Greg

Jim B - In guntersville in October I borrowed another guys' jumper cables and she kicked right over twice (once short of the ramp and again when stupid trepper turned off the motor at the ramp!!LOL), I tried jumper cables this time, but my trolling battery must have been pretty low too, after 8 hours of 15-20mph winds as it didn't giver her enough juice :-(

Now, doing research seems Everstarts have a warranty issue with Wallyworld, so i'm going to go up market, question is for a 115 Merc I don't need the $200 Optima's, so any suggestions on a good sealed group 27 marine dual purpose start/deep cycle in the $100 range that's easily accessable in stores?

No you should not try to use the older battery with a new one, it will cause some issues, one being when charging it will try to take most of the charge, and neither battery will be fully charged, it can also drain the better battery during the day but hvaing lower voltage. just not a good idea to pair a weak battery with a good battery, if you really want the extra reserve, go past your group 27 battery to a group 31. I run one 31 with my 250 Opti, and all the asc are on the same battery, i also have two built in chargers, one three back for the trollers, and a single for the cranking battery......never have an issue, even doing a full tournament, and at times not moving with the big motor most of the day...

Trep....I'm having that same ? Leaning towards Interstate since that is what I am replacing and it has given me good service, but then you read about the problems others has had so??

I have a Sam's near by with an Auto center and they sell Optima's one is yellow top and one is blue and both say start/deep cycle....the yellow sells for $163 36 month and the blue is 155 with 24 month and my Walmart sells a Max for 80 so ???? Might just flip a coin....

This is how I would rig it. Invest in a perko battery switch. Use 2 batteries. With this set up you can use either battery by itself or if you lose that much juice select both batteries to get you home. On Lake Erie almost everryone is running like this. Can't take a chance 10 miles out. As far as extra wieght never noticed it just balance them out.

All Wet - that is a great idea, had not thought of that, get the new/good battery and use the switch for the older battery that only seems to die at the end of a long/power drained day!

Spend the money and get a Trojan, proper cranking battery. Then switch out your trolling batteries when it is time also.

The VAST MAJORITY of batteries in this country (Trojan and Optima not withstanding), are all made by Johnson Controls. They make Wally World, Interstate, etc, etc.

Tex

I would not rule out batteries made by EastPenn Deka out of PA. They private label hundreds of batteries for companies such as Napa,Sears,Cabelas,Bass Pro,AC Delco and West Marine among many others. They also make the new Duracell Marine batteries as well. You may pay a little more than the Interstates but they are worth it.

Trep - BPS has a 1000 cranking amp battery in store for around $100. Its a "sealed" lead acid battery marine battery that's all white with a red label. When they go on sale (typically about now or in the spring), you can get them for under $100. I have one in the family deck boat going on three years. I put one in the G3 to fire up the 150hp outboard. It holds up a lot better running a full day than the undersized group 24 generic battery that was there before. Although its "sealed" you can remove the caps to check the water levels. Whenever I do, the cells are still topped off.

i always buy ac-delco. never had any problem with them and each one ive ever bought at least lasted 4 years minimum. and thats from fishing at least 3 times a month. hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back