1st Tournament of the year, and first with my son

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Poff

Reaction score
Partisipated in the 1st USA Bassin tournament of the year on Taylorsville Lake, Taylorsville KY, a 3,500 acre impoundment. First time with my 14 year old son. First of all I was very proud of my boy. I backed the boat/trailer into the water and he lowered the engine, fired the engine up on the Z7, waited with 24 other boats, drove to the dock and picked me up, just like a pro.

The temp in the morning was in the 40's warming up to mid 60's by the afternoon. Had somewhat of a cold front come in after a week of 80's. The water temp was averaging 64 degrees. The minimum length limit is 15", we caught 11 shorts throwing shallow running crackbaits. I tried flipping and pitching and also throwing a spinnerbait.

A few of the bass were like footballs and most were 13 or 14 inches and I believe they were mostly males. So my question is this, based on the conditions mentioned above, do you think the females were staging in deeper water, maybe at the mouths of the creeks and not moving up yet? It had rained on Friday and Saturday and cleared on Sunday the day of the tournament. A couple of the flats I visited were pretty muddy, so I didn't stay long on them, but went looking for clearer water.

I thought with the water warming up to the mid 60's and almost 70 in the shallow areas I would see a lot of spawning activity?

I was thinking we probably should have thrown some deep diving crackbaits off the main lake points and it was to early for shallow, say 7' depth cranks.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back