1985 Ranger 17 Feet With 115 Johnson Motor""""need Advice Plzzzzz"""!!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulbritt43

Reaction score
I HAVE A 1985 RANGER 17 FEET WITH A 115 HP JOHNSON ON IT. OK, MOTOR RUNS LIKE NEW, IDLING, STARTING, AND RUNNING...........UNTIL YOU PUSH THE THROTTLE DOWN AND GO !!! ABOUT 2 OF 5-6 TIMES WHEN RUNNING FAST, ALL OF A SUDDEN IT FEELS LIKE THE MOTOR JUST CUTS OUT, LIKE IT'S NOT GETTING ENOUGH GAS. ONLY DOES IT WHEN 90% OR MORE WIDE OPEN. WHAT IS CAUSING THIS??? ANY KNOWLEDGE IS APPRECIATED..............CONTACT ME PLZZZ HELP ME HERE BEFORE I HAVE TO START "TRIAL AND ERROR"!!! THAT RUNS INTO MONEY !!! OUCH !!! THNXXXXX ALOT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a similar experience three times in my boating life and I'll try to describe what was found to be the issue. The first time this happened, it was my high speed jets on the carburetor. They had to be adjusted and it resolved the problem. But in some cases the carbs need a good cleaning. The second time this happened was 20 years later on a different engine and it was a bad stator(under flywheel). With the stator issue, I could run at half throttle all day but when I tried to open it up, it would cut out like you describe. Hopefully your issue is related to your carbs....a lot easier and cheaper to fix. The third time I replaced my fuel pumps located on my engine block(easy and cheap).

Before you go to spending money, I would check my fuel line primer bulb, replace fuel filter if you have one, and then pour a can of Seafoam in the fuel tank to run through carbs first.

I had the same problem on a 1989 115hp force. It turned out to be a power pack breaking down at high speed. I guess it could several different things. I would start with the carbs and work from there.

I can tell you from experience finding the RIGHT mechanic will save you money in the long run. Both the guys above are pretty close to what could be the problem. I'd bet I went at my old johnson 115 (on a pontoon boat) that drove me crazy for 2 years. It was a combination of problems but the mechanic I finally found - found ALL the problems and explained in a logical way what he thought it was - and confirmed it in 20 minutes, too 2 days to get everything done but money well spent compared to the money I spent and then spent at 2 other shops before this guy solved it in 20 minutes and fixed in 2 days. Ran like a bat outta heck, no more troubles. Sure hated selling that motor but I put a new Merc 60 4 stroke - goodbye 2 strokes FOREVER :)

Latest posts

Back