1958 Evinrude Will Not Go Forward.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whtboy100

Reaction score
I have a 1958 evinrude that was working but will not go forward now. It shifts at the motor but doesn't go into forward. It only goes into reverse. It doesn't even go into neutral. I drained the oil and refilled it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before you break it down check you shift linkage. I had a 1948 7.5 hp that was direct drive to go in reverse you turned the engine around backwards. There are some sites that have parts but not many.

I have a 1958 evinrude that was working but will not go forward now. It shifts at the motor but doesn't go into forward. It only goes into reverse. It doesn't even go into neutral. I drained the oil and refilled it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

He's righ t try the linkage. Usually there is a shaft going down to the gears in the lower unit. It shifts thee forward an reverse pawel on the gears. I have seen some folks use the reverse one to replace the forward one that is worn.

Thanks for the info. I will check it out. I'm trying not to get into ripping too much apart. I'm new to the boat motor thing. I have already found out through trial and error that it's nothing like working on a car motor.

FYI, you will need to do some in-depth research, I found that my 1948 7.5 was sold by Firestone Tire and Rubber but was made by McCullough. The local McCullough dealer hated me, I would come in with a part and have look for one.

Latest posts

Back