189 Sport Bimini Concerns

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Hodge2

Reaction score
Just got a 2010 189 sport which came with a bimini attached. During the walkthrough at the dealer the kid told me it's ok to trailer it in the up position but bundled up. Looking at the installation instructions it says never to trailer it in that position and it does seem wobbly. The instructions don't however explain how to trailer it! I asked him about whether it laid down for storage and he said no but was willing to take out mounting screws to prove his point. To lay it all the way back it lands on the motor. It doesn't seem to want to lay forward either. I've never had a bimini so I don't have a clue. It has occurred to me that with the bimini up I cannot cover the boat with a cover and would be an issue for the rear person fishing. It also seems too flimsy to trailer. The instruction sheet says it's for a 2005-2008 189 sport. Our BassPro in Nashville flooded last year and so I'm wondering if they put the wrong item on just to clear things out and several boats were marked off as flood damaged. The only part of the boat that has flood like markings is on the bimini storage wrap so I have to question it. So tell me oh knowledgeable ones......what is the proper way to trailer a bimini top? Should I be able to lay it down? Could it be the wrong top or possibly installed incorrectly? I've been out of boating/fishing for many years and definitely don't understand bimini tops. Now with a new boat I found this forum and decided I best join as I'm sure I'll have plenty of knowledge to gain. I definitely want to treat it right so I've been reading like crazy here. Apologies for the length, but wasn't sure how to describe all this. Any advice greatly appreciated

ny Bimini top that I have had is trailerable, and most fold down eiteher all the way or half way down. You may have goten a pig in a poke on this one Sorry

Opened it up and lashed it and the thing appears as though maybe it was mounted backwards as it doesn't even cover the front seats when opened. I'll wait till later when it's not Africa hot out and take it off.......flip it around and see what happens.

Thanks Bill for your reply and if anyone else has any two cents to offer bring it on. The only boats I've ever owned were old and should have been sunk as fish habitat! This one is new and like a new car I'm worried about everything and waiting for that first scratch so I can get over it. It's been 15 years so I'm anxious to get started, but very cautious. Maybe this time I won't go home smelling of gas from working on a clunker of an engine after hitting the lake!

Call the Tracker Boat Center, 615-514-5180. They do BPS Nashville's service, they should be able to answer any of your questions. I've found them to be really good to work with. You can get your Nitro parts there.

If I am not mistaken the 189 Sport bimini has a storage boot with hooks on it to attach the straps to it and cross them at the back for trailering. It should reach the seating area inside the cockpit when unfolded and end up about 1.5 feet from the windshield to allor for the optional curtain set to attach from the windshield to the top.. I have seen many of them that hit the motor when laid back. I think to get them to lay down in the past, we tilted the motor down, then folded the top back, then installed the motor on the transom saver.

PETTYMSJ you are not mistaken and are right on. They only installed the front strap hooks which confused me but the dealer put them in the bag of "stuff" they gave me with the boat if I should want to install them. Also included were two more straps that I suppose if the bimini were installed with only two of the legs vs 4 I would have to used. Seems stronger with the four legs. We went out last evening when it kinda cooled down and dismantled the rear legs, lowered the engine and laid it down, then raised the engine. I just need to pick up some knurled knob fastening screws and I should be good to go. A bit more work than I'd hoped for but it will work. During our walkthrough, the young fella seemed to be making up some of his answers so we just stopped asking. One of the mechs came over and had to show him how to do the trailer jack if that gives you any idea of his knowledge. Nice kid, just not qualified to do walk through. Now that part is behind me and I've read the manuals and gotten to then engine break-in I'm goin' shoppin' for all the required crap so I can get started breaking in the engine. Pretty excited, yet still afraid of that first scuff/scratch. Thinking of getting one of those Keel Shields I see so much of on here since most of our shores are rocky or gravely. Thanks for the replies and any advice for a re-newed boater please slip them in as far as accessories.......need a battery charge system and depth/fish finder for sure.:unsure:

Latest posts

Back