115 Merc Steering

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Wilson

Reaction score
Just bought the Combo Pro 17.5' with 115 Merc. Steering is extremely stiff when turning left, right seems OK. Bass Pro didn't know why and Merc dealer in town wasn't much help.

I inspected the steering linkage by the motor and the hydraulic shaft ( think it's hydraulic) seems to be greased.

Anyone know why a new unit would be like this? Would regreasing the shaft benefit or is there something else to look for from the steering wheel all the way back to the motor? I did locate the grease nipple so this is a quick one to try.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

Are you running the boat with the motor trimmed all the way down for the break in period? When trimmed all the way down, it is normal for the steering to be very hard to the left. My Z7 is the same way, which I believe is because the prop is right hand rotating, so the boat has a tendency to go to the right. After breaking it in by the book, when you start to trim the motor out, the steering should become much easier. If not, then you definitely need to get it in to have it looked at again.

Mike

With your boat out of the water and trimmed level, is the steering still hard to turn? If not then it is torque and you can come back and ask how to deal with that.

As toxic pointed out, if it steers hard not running through the water, then go back to the dealer. second point, is it hydraulic or cable (single or double) steering? I am assuming it is single cable. easy steer dead in water or on trailer level I would adjust the trim tab. Common problem even on by 40 merc.

Torque steer, Makes you wonder how many bps boat sales people have ever been in a boat?

Latest posts

Back