1000 Islands & Black Lake, NY

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
I have been invited to go on a fishing trip in early June to fish the 1,000 Islands (St. Lawrence River) & Black Lake, in NY State.

Anybody been there at this time of year, what can I expect for Fishing, been doing some research and from what I have read the fishing has declined in the past years up there.

Perhaps BassinFool or others have some info on the 1,000 Islands

Thanks

CJL

It's a great area but I would head for Chaumont Bay on Lake Ontario or Red Lake which is 8 miles from the bay. Bass season doesn't open up till the 3rd saturday in June and a week later on the Canadian side of the river. Black Lake the bass are in full spawn now and will continue through the 1st to second week of June. A few will still be spawning after that.

Water temp. was 58-60 degrees on Black Lake yesterday and would be lower on the river and lake Ontario. You can expect the smallies to be shallow on the sand and rock Lake bottom areas and river areas. If you decide to go over to Black lake give a holler. I'll hook you up with some decent fishing. All we could catch yesterday in those thirty mile an hour winds was bass on our crappie jigs. Danm pesky critters.:):D

It is against the law to bed fish in NYS. At least until October of this year, then certain areas will be open to catch and immediate release. The only way they can ligitimately charge you is if your specifically targeting bass. Last year I was catching the heck out of them and the Game warden saw me put something in my live well. When they came over to check I had 2 nice walleys. I can't help it if those darn pesky bass keep hitting my jerk bait. The walley's love them too. Few years before that they thought they had me because I was throughing jig and pig, problem was I had three walleys two over 8 lbs I had caught on that jig and pig.

As long as you don't stay in one place and catch bass after bass and don't openly omit to fishing for bass their hands are tied. There's really nothing they can do. On Chamount Bay I caught a walley last year that went over 16 lbs. on jig and pig. Go Figure I was in a bass tournament.:rolleyes::unsure:

Latest posts

Back