100 MPH Suits - VERY disappointed in design.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
If you are looking to buy one of those 100 MPH suits at BPS, better read this.

I had made up my mind to buy a Cabella's Guidewear outfit for the cold weather fishing. Wife cancelled our trip to Cabella's in Wheeling (WV) over Thanksgiving. So, we went out to BPS in Charlotte so that I could really look over the 100 MPH suits.

I liked the parka quite a bit. Thought that the head/face protection was pretty good. However, for the price, I would have liked it to have thinsulate in it - but passable.

Now for the part that I REALLY THOUGHT WAS STUPID!

I took down a pair of the bib's, and put them on. Several major problems.

The strap across the chest between the two shoulder straps, is a good idea. However, it is sewn on on of the shoulder straps, and then velcro's to the other one. Only problem is that once I adjust the shoulder strap for the correct tension to keep them up - it runs into the sewn on chest strap! No way I can adjust the shoulder straps to make them fit - and they don't have an adjustment in the rear.

Now the other real kicker. Let's see, I'm on the boat in the wind/rain/cold with my suit on. I need to pee. With the design of these pants/bib, the following is needed.

Take off the sospenders. Take off the jacket. Remove the straps on the shoulder. Pull down the pants. THEN upzip your fly and do your business. What knucklehead designed these??? No offense, but it must have been a woman. No way a man is going to design a set of pants/bibs that don't have a zipper that opens to the inside. It has a zipper, put after you pull it down, there is a piece of cloth sewn to the inside for warmth/protection from the cold (I believe that's what its for).

Well, looks like I will make a run to Wheeling during the Christmas break, when I'm off, and my wife is working. I'll just take a drive up to do that shoping. Or maybe I can find a super saver somewhere, where I can just fly in cheaply.

Tex

I have both a 100 mph suit and an older guidewear suit. I think the 100 mph suit does a better job keeping me dry. Thinsulate is unnecessary as it is better to layer. As for doing your business, I do unzip the jacket; however, there is no need to unzip the bibs. You can use a jug without ever unzipping the bibs. (Much warmer this way as well)

As far as the shoulder strap, are you sure you were trying on the right size? The chest strap should not get in the way.

Get the 100MPH jacket,..and the XPS bibs (they have a zipper),...they can be purchased seperately!

I believe that I had on the right size, but the possibility does exist that I had on an XXLT instead of just a XXL. That certainly could make a difference.

Yeah, I can just see me trying to stick a bottle/jug down in my britches. NOT!

I have the regular BPS rainwear. Works great. Just does not offer the colder weather protection that I'd like to have. Still believe it's a poor design.

I may decide to take a run up to Wheeling (maybe use a super saver to Pittsburgh) so that I can see for myself.

Tex

I have a 100 mph jacket..love it. I wouldn't want the thinsulate in it...same reason as mentioned before...i like to layer

I've tried the bibs on and I love them, just don't have the money right now to buy the bibs. When i tried them on at BPS last year i didn't have any trouble with the straps.

Right now I have a pair of the XPS bibs that I got at the cataloge store by BPS in springfield. They are one size too big but thats ok because I layer...the EXP is the same thing...no zipper..but i've never thought about it...never been a problem.

BJ

Pretty well convinced now that I may have had on an XXLT, given how long the legs were. Maybe that's why the shoulder straps wouldn't work right.

Still don't like the front design though.

If I were to buy the Cabela's guidewear, I would probably go for the un-insulated, because they are available in a short model (30" inseam), that would be better for me. The regular model has a 33" inseam. Way too long.

Tex

Mini,

Nice to see you browsing now and then. Thanks for the update. I'll probably be back out at BPS sometime this week (nearby resturant is the only place in Charlotte to get true Tex-Mex grub - On the Border). I'll take a second look.

Also got some additional feedback to some specific questions from KB5601 (Ken), so I'm also comfortable ordering from Cabela's now, if it comes to that.

Tex

Heck, why all this banter about peeing? I just go in my suit, it gives me a nice warm feeling and nobody notices!!LOL!!

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back