100 mph suit. pricey are they worth it ?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Gross

Reaction score
I looked at these after I heard Rob mention it.400.00 + Pricey but what are some of the advantages to them ?

Can they be gotten any cheaper somewhere else ?

Mac, there's not one of these's hiding in 901 somewhere is there ??? lol hu,hu,hu,

Mabe I'll just tie dye my long underwear !

Mark,

I don't have a 100 mph suit, but I do have a good Guidewear Gore-tex rainsuit (bibs, parka and hood) from Cabela's. I can tell you that they are worth EVERY penny. I wear the parka all the time. They are great in cold, windy conditions and when it's pouring rain they keep me dry and comfortable. Vinyl rain gear doesn't breath, and you can end up perspiring underneath.

Dry-Plus is a Gore-tex like material, and the cost is a bit less. There are others, too. But I am sold on a good, breathable fabric, Cordura-outer shell rainsuit. Mine is six years old, and I think it will last another four or five years before I will need to replace it (the parka anyway).

MO

I liked mine so much, that I bought one for my wife. The only complaint is that they don't make it in a small size for my wife. But I love em. They really cut all of the wind out. I know they are expensive, but if you figure you'll use it for years, it worth it.

Mark, if you spend a lot of time on the water, they're golden. Even when it's not raining, in any kind of chop as your bow crests a wave, the spray will come across the boat and you get wet. Don't care what boat you run or how "dry" the ride is, in hi winds you get wet in EVERY boat. But I have spent hundreds over the years buying cheapy suits that last a year or two and don't really keep you dry anyway. It was time to get the good stuff. Again, ALL the pros wear 100 mph or Cabelas guide wear. That says something. The suits is gortex like Mo said and windproof. Plus velcros at the ankles and wrists to really keep out the elements. The thing I like most is the fact that the bibs come up to the middle of your chest and the parka goes down past your butt. That's quite and overlap and it is needed. I hated sitting behind the wheel because my old rainjacket always hiked up in the back and left a little gap between where the coat stopped and the pants started. Every time, rain, or waves would run right down my back, down the crack of my @#$ and then you got wet crotch! Not a good feeling! OR it would run down the neck, down your shirt, thus totally soaking what you had on underneath, and eventually back into the groin AGAIN giving you "wet crotch"! LOL In a 100 mph suit, if you get wet, it's because your boat sank! LOL

how does the cabelas guide wear compare to the 100mph in both price and performance - maybe a dumb question as probably not many have had both.

still waiting for the 50% off sale!

jd

Scout motto, Mark: ????

I got mine as a combination birthday/Christmas gift (December birthdays will do that to you).

I once fell asleep in a pouring rain, fishing in January, because my suit kept me so comfortable. An early wake-up, the sound of the rain, a bit too much Lutheran lemonade the night before were the root cause of my sleeping while fishing...that and the fact that the fish weren't biting. My brother-in-law asked if we wanted to go to another spot and I didn't answer. When he looked to the back seat, there I was holding the fishing rod, head down, rain pouring off either side of the hood. His laughing woke me up.

However you have to do it, get the suit.

Those 100MPH suits are worth their weight in GOLD!!! They'll last as long as you'll ever need one and you won't find anything that blocks wind/rain/and cold as good as they do. If you've got the coin and you spend anytime outside in any kind of weather....than I'd highly recommens one.......especially you Mark..livin' in MN like you do,..you can wear that badboy outside all winter and never get cold!! They are unbelievable!!!! Don't leave home without it!! IMHO

Mac

James, Cabelas guide wear or BPS 100 mph suit, half dozen of one, 6 of the other. They are virtually the same. Both in the same price range and same features and material. What the guide wear has that I like is the charcoal color. Plus in FLW and Everstart events, I have to put duct tape (once again, good for everything including nuclear holocaust, biological attack, and fishing) to cover the BPS logo if I make the cuts. Bummer, but true. I was given shirts by FLW to guide Forrest in and a Ranger, because NO photo ops would be taken if I had another shirt on, and Forrest wouldn't be caught dead in any other boat but a Ranger. Picky picky! LOL But I'm glad I did, it sold itself. When I get the $$$ I'm getting me a Ranger dontchaknow!

Well after that more than graphic description from Rob about crotch-rot I'm almost affraid to go back out on the water with out one! And I do have a birthday coming up on the 25th of this month...what great timing,also Lincoln's birthday, YES !! I'm going for it .

Thanks guys,

I didn't say crotch rot, but that is probably less comfortable than wet crotch! LOL

If you have ever been sooo miserable that you had to get off of the lake and lose a day of fishing, you will appreciate a quality weathersuit. Personally, I have some bibs made for foul weather yachting. Velcroed legs (very important...nothing worse than having to take off your shoes to change pants) and a foul weather patagonia jacket. Fleece under the jacket for cold and I'm good to go.

My big question is footwear???? What do you wear for rain? Sunny days? And Rob don't you tell me you have a pair of duck boots!!

TOXIC

Frogg toggs are great for summertime when it's too warm for the 100 mph suit. But they won't keep you warm in the early spring and late fall like the 100 mph suit. But they are a very reasonable compromise for the money if you just learn to dress in layers underneath. I don't know how they would hold up when on plane or in the long run. Thinner material to me calculates to premature failure or leaks down the road. Again, I don't know, don't own any, but I have heard only good things about them. I know BPS has an XPS suit that will save you about $75? from the price of a 100 mph and look identical. Might be worth the look.

I am probably one of the few that has owned all three. I used to have the guide wear from Cabela's before I was sponsored by BPS, after I got an XPS, then last year I got the 100MPH. I have since sold the Guide Wear and the XPS was stolen out of my truck in Florida Jan '02, now I have the BPS 100mph suit. Both are comparable, but I honestly like the 100MPH suit the best.

It is not only good for rain, but boat spray and wind too.

Either way you cant go wrong getting the GoreTex 100MPH suit if you can afford it. If you cant the XPS suit is the way to go.

Mini

I have the Cabelas Guidewear, reason I got it over BPS 100MPH was that I could get a Thinsulate Lining with the Guidewear(both bibs and parka) and did not see that as an option on the BPS suit. It gets COOOOLD up here in Wisconsin and thinsulate is nice. Only thing I don't like is that it does not zip out so it can get warm later in the sping and early fall.

--Corey

I think any rain wear with GORE-TEX is the way to go. I have the BPS HPR set (Parka & Bibs). It's lighter weight than the 100MPH suit so it is better for summer time use and rolls up nice and small for easy storage. I bought it 1 size big so I have room to layer under it for early/late season fishing.

If/when I upgrade I'll probably go with the 100mph bibs but I'll go with the XPS parka. Again, the Parka is lighter than the 100mph and I can always add layers when it gets cold. The main feature I LOVE about the XPS parka is the STRETCH panels. There is no restriction in movement at all. Besides, my boat doesn't go 100mph...LOL

Marke

Hey Marke,

You need to think ahead. Someday you might own an Allison with a 225HP on it and would be going over 100mph!!!

Bob G.

You wont need the stretch panels....trust me unless you plan on doing discus, high jump or obstacle courses....

Fishing involves simple movements of the body, yes you do need additional movement compared to having a suit fitted, but if you get one size bigger than you need in either the 100MPH or the XPS or the Guide Wear, you will be fine with or without the thinsulate. Personally I like it without, you can always add another layer of fleece (jacket, sweat pants etc.)....

Mini

Mark -

About 15 years ago, when Gortex first came out, I bought Cabela's house-brand parka and pants - uninsulated. I paid about $100 for each. I bought them mostly for spring turkey season so I could sit comfortably in the rain..... MANY times, I've fallen asleep against a tree to the sound of rain drops falling in the leaves around me and woken up much later dry and comfortable!

15 years later, I still have the same parka and pants in excellent condition. Got Cabela's Gor-Tex hiking boots, too!

Uninsulated, I can wear them in the summer. If I want to use them in cold weather, they're loose enough that I just put layers on underneath!

me!

But what if you're "stretching" the limit of a 2X ? How do you buy one size bigger ? Guess I need to drop a few LBS.

Craig

Craig,

If you are stretching the limits of 2x....I think your right!

Mini

I'm OK. Put on a 2X today and there's LOTS of room !! I'm gettin one now !

Craig

Scott touched on an important feature (see me brown nosing), Uninsulated. I own several Gortex shells and because they're uninsulated you can use them year around. Layering is the concept to staying warm and dry. Patagonia longjohns, a wool sweater & wool pants and the Gortex on top=Warm and dry for hours. I love the Patagonia stuff except they're a bunch of PETA supporters.

Wildwood

Scott touched on an important feature (see me brown nosing), Uninsulated. I own several Gortex shells and because they're uninsulated you can use them year around. Layering is the concept to staying warm and dry. Patagonia longjohns, a wool sweater & wool pants and the Gortex on top=Warm and dry for hours. I love the Patagonia stuff except they're a bunch of PETA supporters.

Wildwood

so which is better - bps 100mph or the guidewear?

looks like the bps has a higher back in the bibs and neoprene cuffs in the parka and the hood zips off. i'm not reall crazy about all the logos (one is enough).

looks like the guidewear is a BASS sponser, a little less expensive (not much) and has lycra cuffs and don't know if the hood zips off. cablelas also is giving away a free bag right now that holds 6 3700 boxes plus the suit. looks also like you can get in shorter inseam sizes for people with short legs.

jd

The 100MPH suit does not have a two way zipper for "relieving" yourself. The bibs only zip down.

The Guidewear hood is not sufficient for high speed boat runs especially in the rain. I think 100MPH hood is the best in the business, next to a helmet.

Contract or not, given the choice I would go with the BPS 100MPH......Better zippers and velcro. Seemingly more durable fabric. Neoprene cuffs hold water out better. Certainly better freedom of movement (Gudewear Stretch aside) and I think the bibs are more comfortable to wear in the long run. Heck in the fishing season I wear my bibs more than traditional pants....

Mini

thanx mini,

I've been tryin to decide between the two and it is a lot of monies. hopefully they will have some at the classic and I can check them out. It is tuff to tell from a catalog. looks like the "bill" in the hood piece is another difference between the two also.

jd

Latest posts

Back