07 Tactics...what worked and didn't ?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMMY RICH

Reaction score
This was a little bit of a learning year for me with soft jerk baits (Super Fluke) and for deep water spoonin'.

I had fantastic sucsess in the spring at Dale Hollow for brownfish that were being negative due to unseasonable weather and no wind for days on end. Nothing else worked and I really couldn't produce a pattern especially when the sun got high in the sky.

I thought about it and twitched a white Super Fluke weightless around laydowns and any other cover I could find on the shaded banks and BINGO !

I really like the white color because you can see it as deep as 15ft. in clear water. Really neat to be able to see your takers!

I tried the spoons for deep water smallies but, I think I was unsucsessful due to the hot weather all the way til November...I'll give it another shot;)

What were some of yours ?

What worked:

FROGS! I literally tore them up this year on frogs. I'm getting pretty good at the technique and my catch v/s loss ratio in the "heavy stuff" has gone way up. I've got a good rod/reel/line/lure setup that has been working extremely well for me.

Crankbaits. I tried some new crankbaits this year by several different companies. One of my favorites was a new wooden lure by "C Flash", called the "Hound Dog". The bait really lived up to it's name as it "went and found 'em". :lol:

What did not work:

Drop Shot. I caught one fish on it this year, under Toxics instruction. If it were not for Toxic, I would have batted ".00" with that technique. It's not for lack of trying though. I carried the lures around with me all year long, and had a rod rigged with it for several tournaments, but just never picked up a fish with it.

All the best,

Glenn

All I have to say is Berkley Gulp! Alive Minnow Grub CHARTREUSE. Had a good time using them:D

Ok two things that really helped a lot;

One was the Sump'n Sump'n jig in Karen's special color tipped with a like colored trailer was catching fish from Wisconsin to So. Fla

The second was a custom painted Rapala DT series crank bait in a shad pattern it was hot!

There were a few others but I just can't tell right now! Tease.................

The Dragon

GULP GULP GULP! Works like a charm.

I havent had the swimbait luck I thought I would but I am still learning. I can get some monsters to follow it, just not take it.....YET!

What worked for me... Spiger jigs just about everywhere i went.

What didnt work, everything else.

Seriously the spider jig is the only thing i got any fish on consistantly last summer. I dont know why but thats the way it was. My normal go to is the spinnerbait and even that didnt produce like normal.

It got to the point last year that all i needed to bring was a 25 pack of Yammamoto 5" hoola grubs in watermellon and some jig heads and i was all set for the day.

Green white X-Rap jerk baits in size 8! My custom homemade spinnerbaits and a special color senko that I think really mimicks a bluegill!

What didn't work and has in the past .... buzzbaits and crank baits! Confounded me to all bejeezus!

Randy!

Mini,

I have something for you to try with the swim baits. I don't know how you like fish attractants but try this and let me know how your luck changes.....I bet it will! Get yourself a tube of Mega Strike Put a dab on the end of your nose......Only kiddin' Put some on the palm of your hand about the size of a pencil eraser, then rub it around your palms, then take your swim bait and cover it with the stuff in the palms of your hand. You can then wipe off the remaining attractant on a clean rag....but make sure it is clean. Then as it wears off the bait just smear a little more on the bait from the tube. There seems to be something about the soft swim baits that they pick-up the slightest odor residues from your skin, oil, gas, cigs even soap. I know another guy that dunks his in strong black coffee, but the Mega Strike works best for me. Warning you will need to clean your hands real well before you get in and grab the steering wheel or you will smell it for a week!

Tight Lines,

The Dragon

I threw a few new baits this year. Mainly the new Little John, some new prototype swimming Senko's rigged a couple of different ways, buzzbait (black), SPRO frogs and a shad sammy but I look at it this way, I caught 3 trophy bass this year on the good ol' Senko.....not gonna change what's working well for me. I am a Senko fanatic!! I can fish it like a jerkbait, on top like a topwater, deep like a jig and of course the way it was intended. If I can't get a bass to hit a senko, there's a 90% chance they ain't eatin nuthin!!:lol: Since I fish different bodies of water and lakes, I have to be flexible. I'll get another schoolin' lesson from the MVM on St. Clair but that's nuthin new:p I need to get better at jigs and spoons also.

TOXIC

Superflukes and more superflukes, love fishing them. Sometimes I will use mono and tie a smaller trailer hook right onto the bend of the primary hook to where the trailer hook is even with the tail of the superfluke, trailer just under the body. I have caught several short-strikers solely on the trailer hook. I like the BPS Stik-o's vs the senko's cause I'm not a rich man......ha ha ha. Catch tons of fish on the green pumpkin and have done well also on the amber red.

May your doorknob always smell of fish.

Jim

Good tactics guys:cool:

Jim...it's gonna be very interesting this summer night fishin' on Dale Hollow with a Black Super Fluke!

And I'm a damgood blind fishermen!

Used to have to sneek into the gravel pits around here at night when I was young...caught some big bass too:eek:

I forgot to mention th eried and truw tube for me. By and far the best bait to catch em on around here. I had numerous fish over 5 and about 8 fish over 6 one pushing 7 on just a 4" Magnum Flippin Tube from Bass Pro Shops!

I am not a big scent fan. I will try the tip, but I can assure you I will NOT be spreading it around all over my hands....I like to fish, but I like women too. There is no way to get that stink by a beautiful woman....

Mini

Never had one technique or bait that was THE deal for me this year, it was more of a mindset and confidence in myself that did it. Did well on some new baits and some old baits, but my favorite is probably still the Storm wild-eye rippin swim shad, I try to find ways to make them hit it.

What worked,fall fishing with a bladebait 1/4 oz vibe, they ate it up,

What didn't worked,summer fishing to hot & dry.

No venom tubes for me. I use the BPS and/or precision. There is another tube I will be using too called Lunch Money Lures.

Extremeeeeeemely-Dead Sticking a Watermelon Red Tiki Stik was just the ticket this past season in water 0-10 feet. Deeper than that my Norman Deep Diver Smokey Joe pattern was effective.

Worming and jigs were problems for me out here on the frontier.

Mini I never thought you would be afraid of a little stinky finger???

The Dragon

I picked up my first drop shot fish this past year. I've always fished fast so drop shotting never really appealed to me. A really tough day on the lake can make you adapt quickly and I was "hooked" ever since. Consistent producers were jigs, spinner baits, and kreatures. As far as what didn't work, I have a nice collection of swim baits and the equipment to throw them. In '06 I did some damage with them but the swim bait bite didn't seem to be there in '07. The senko bite wasn't as strong this past year as well.

Glenn,

You and I need to get out again and do some dropshotting. This time in the same boat. It has its place and is deadly in certain circumstances.

TOXIC

I love drop shotting. Esp BIG smallies in 30+ feet of water. As soon as they are hooked they shoot up like a rocket! Hard to keep up at times....lol

Man I REALLY need to fish....

Tox,

I'd be happy to. Name the time and place and I'll make sure I'm there. :)

All the best,

Glenn

Eakins jigs and Paca chunk trailers, Kermit, and the new Jewell Baits heavy cover finesse jig and a zoom fat albert twin tail trailer. I probably could have left everything else at home.(yah right!)

Tim

Latest posts

Back