05 Nitro NX750 90hp Mercury

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Anyone own this boat and have an opinion on quality and owner satisfaction?

teri, i dont own that nx model( i have an 882) but i klnow a couple of guys that do. They are pretty happy with thier boats overall. The only thing withwhat you mention in the title is the motor. 90hp isnt a big enough motor for that boat. you really want a 115hp or more. I dont think you would be very happy with that boat and a 90.

Teri: I have a 2001 NX750 with a 2002 Merc 90. I think it is a good boat/motor combination. The motor is big enough to push the boat. The only thing you would need a bigger motor for is more speed. My dealer warned me that the 135, for which the boat is rated, could be hazardous to my health on big lakes unless I was extremely careful in high chop [which occurs most of the time]. I have had no problems getting on plane with my fat ash and that of another boater. What I do recommend is that you go no lower than 80 lbs thrust on the TM; 55 lbs will move the boat nicely, but lacks the excess capacity for windy days. I'll measure my garage door when I get home to make sure it fits the same situation as your garage, but I can get my boat thru the door easily with a few inches on each side. If I remember correctly, your driveway allows you a straight shot into the garage which would make it much easier to push into the garage than my slight dogleg right. If you're going to NE any time soon, come thru KC and I'll let you run my boat. v/r Marty

You won't set the water on fire but, that's a fine combination if your looken for a smaller rig to fit in your garage;)

Another point if I may...that 90 is dang near bulletproof.:D

One additional point, one of regular backseaters is an Army combat helicopter pilot who fought in the first big Iraq war; it scares him to ride my boat flat out on a windy day out on Lake of the Ozarks, Truman Resevoir, Pomme de Terre, and other such big MO and KS lakes. If we were going flat out with a 115 or 135, I would suspect that we would be doing one of those racing boats flip over backwards. :wacko::blink::wacko:

Thanks for the info. I am looking for a bass boat to use when I am not fishing with my neighbor on his Stratos. I need it to fit in the garage and I don't want to spend alot of money as I have a jet ski for "play time". I can go about 70mph on the jet ski so I don't really need to fly on a bass boat. I usually run about 5 minutes and shut off anyway.

Marty, could you measure your width? I have an 8 foot door but a little trim on each side so I am guessing about 94". My driveway is short, straight and flat so I would push it in. It will be a squeeze but I think it might work. I don't think I could go back to tin. Considered a Tracker TV 18 but looking for a smaller fiberglass. Just a bit hesitant of a Nitro because my last one wasnt the best quality.

I have that exact Combination, a 750 with a 90 carbed Merc, it is a DC version. It is not a speed demon, but it is fast enough for me. My speedo indicates a speed faster than possible, I'm guessing is it 42/43 mph top end with the aluminum prop, I don't have a GPS to check exact speed. I'm thiinking the 115 would be a nicer combo, but the 90 is OK. I would buy this one again, but if I was buying new, I think I would pay the extra few bucks to upgrade to the 115 Opti. I had a '90 Procraft with a 90 Mariner before this one, it drove likle it was on a rail. This one is a little bigger and faster with the same HP, but due to the pad type hull (why it is faster with more boat) it slides a little when you turn the wheel. I am used to it now and I'm getting to liking it pretty well (I've had it around 2.5 months). It is not as bad in rough water as I expected (I'm on Old Hickory which has awful big-boat traffic). It is not too bad on gas, which is important now, but I still don't run all that much anyway. It trailers well, I do have the trailer with the steps on the side and the swing away tongue. It would NOT go into my garage without it, and I have a pretty big garage. The layout is good, is roomy, and logical for a boat this size. There are a few things that I don't like, but they are not show stoppers. 1) Some of the lid pulls are straps, I've had 1 break already. I think I'm going to try and order a few to keep for later on. 2) The checker plate on the steps are recessed a little into the frame. This recessing collects water, so one day this will probably be a rust issue. 3) It is a little back heavy, so when you come off plane it takes some attention to keep wake water from coming over the rear of the transom. I'm used to this now so it is not an issue. 4) Cupholders- There aren't any in the front area, so I'm going to try to figure out how to put a couple up there for drinks and other items to drop into. E-mail me if you have any more questions.

I have an 04 NX750 115Merc love the boat,fishes well,trailers well,and no problems so far,and it is on the water alot.I pull it with a Explorer Sport Trac,and they both get good gas mpg.Like others have said,upgrade the troller.

Teri: My garage door opening is 8'3" and my trailer width [measured outside edges of the tires] is 7'8" so I have 7" to spare. My boat would fit in your garage. However, I noticed that the Nitro website says the package width is 8'3" which wouldn't fit in your garage. I recommend that you measure the specific boat you're buying if possible or another just like it. I share your concern re: quality, but I've not seen signs of poor quality in my boat. To be sure, when you buy a low end Nitro you give up the niceties [like pop up cleats, fancy gauges, pop up locker handles, burled wood appliques, etc], but what is there is quality. I've had no electronic issues. My fiberglass is bright and shows no defects. I've no rust on the diamond steps after 6 years. I replaced the bunks last season, but it was the carpet that was worn and the bunks weren't rotted. My wheels are bright and shiney. I have had no broken straps on my lockers. My Merc 90 is a horse and has never failed me. No leaks. I liken buying a Nitro vice a ranger as the same as buying a Dodge vice a Chrysler in the old days, or an Olds vice a Chevy.

I bought a 2003 NX750 with the 90 Merc on it this spring. It sits on the galvanized trailer so that was a nice bonus. If there was an opportunity to be in love with an inantimate object, then I would be there. I don't have a problem parking it as I have a big shop, but this boat takes up less room than the 14' aluminum I had before.

I swapped out the aluminum prop for a 22p Quicksilver, speedo with just me(a lot of me) showed 51 mph. With two of us on board, I was running around 45. The boat is a great combination of features and space. I will be building a rod rack in the boat soon and a rack to hold my Plano boxes.

I will say I need a cup holder or two on the front as well. And I am in agreeement with the others, more power on the trolling motor. I will upgrade next year.

You will love it. See ya.

Cup holders? Are you fishing or having pic-uh-nic? I set my can/cup on the step near the TM or in the space right behind the rod lockers where the consoles meet the gunwales. Never had one stumble and fall yet.

I've been trying to figure out what I could spin without spending too much money....I have a few questions now myself:

Is your SS prop a 48-16992-A46-22P?

Is your boat a 17'6" hull with a DC? The NADA site shows a length change in 05), (but that could be an error) I'm showing nearly 50 Speedo on mine, but that is technically impossible with the 21P prop and 5400 RPM's.

Berry,

The stock aluminum was a 12-3/4x21p. When I went to Tracker all they had in stock was a Quicksilver 20p, it turned too many rpms. I swapped it out for the 22p and really like what I have seen so far. I will be running it a bunch next week in Arkansas on Lake Ouachita, so I may have more info then. I am not sure on the number, but I think the Quicksilver is a 5122 or something similar.

Mine is the single console is supposed to be 17'6. I don't konw about the speed, but I 45 on the aluminum 21p with when I tried the boat out. One day I will have a GPS to check it with.

There have been several discussions over on BBC on the NX750 prop. Good luck. See ya.

That should be about right...my 90 on my 185 is turnin' 5400 RPMs @ 45 MPH with two and 1/2 tank.

13"x 21P Quicksilver

Couldn't ask better for three cylinders IMHO;)

i guess i should clarify why i dont think a 90 is enough hp for that boat. It has nothing to do with speed. The extra power will help it plane out quicker especially with a full fuel load and a passenger(s). It will also help the boat in rough water if you get caught in it, persoanlly i think more power is safer in rough water then less, much safer. The point being you dont have to go flat out in rough water just because you have more power. In really rough contitions the extra power can help you power up over a wave and onto the next where an underpowered boat will be spearing waves. i boat in rough water a lot and there are days i wish i had a 175 hanging off the back of my 882 and not the 150 i have which is plenty of juice for the 882 hull, again speed is not the issue. a 17.5' fibergass hull is a lot of weight for 90hp motor, the 115 is a better fit.

I had 3 adults out last Saturday in mine plus 3/4 of a tank and had no trouble out of the hole with my 90. I agree that the 115 is prolly better, but the 90 will push this puppy along. It is not an Opti, so I can't speak for how that one will perform. I'm pretty surprised actually. When it gets really rough, I go to the house.

Jim B, I agree with you, I would love to have as much hanging on the back as the boat would handle, but considering what I paid for my 03, I am not going to complain. I will say though that having a few more ponies on the back would make feel better when it does get rough, but then again I am like Berry, I am going to the house.

Ya'll have a great evening. See ya.:)

I don't want to argue with anyone here but I totally agree with Jim B. I have always been a firm believer in maxing out the H.P. to whatever the boat is rated for! UNLESS you find something underpowered at a really great price Teri. JMHO:p

Uncle Billy

I'll jump in here 'cause i've had both in the last few years - my first real boat was a 2000 Tracker PC175 I "upgraded" to a 40hp Merc (75hp max), current boat is a '99 Nitro 700lx with a 115 Merc (125hp max). My view, YES if you have the $$ and find it used in good shape NO ONE will ever tell you won't want MORE HP, so idealy yes Max out the HP. But, I ran that Tracker for 5 years and while sure I would have LOVED to got mid-40's instead of 30mph, where I fished and how I fished it realy never occured to me to spend the extra few grand for a larger motor, even after driving it for 5 years. And YES, all the oldtimers KNOW the story of me winning the largest NTOWS rally we've ever had out of that Under powered Tracker!! Oh and I had the boat sold in the late summer in under 3 weeks, and had an offer on my voice mail on the way BACK from delivering my "under powered" Tracker to its new owner!

So Teri, if the 90 on the 750 is a good deal, you can pay cash, speed fits your needs go for it!

Ok, I went and looked at it. I was at my brothers in North Carolina so it wasn't a local boat for me. The boat was an 05 NX750 with a 90hp Merc, basic Lowrance ff, and a 46lb MotorGuide. He had it priced at 10,999 but would take 10K I think. It was in great shape, looked new other than one small hole in the seat.

I decide to pass to a few reasons. One, I wouldn't be able to water test it because I was only staying one more day. Two, we measured and I think it will fit in the garage; however, I didn't want to risk taking the boat back to TN and it not fit.

I will keep this model in mind and keep looking. Ideally, I would like a 115 but I am finding that most boats of equal size have a 90hp on the back.

That ain't a bad deal for that bote if it is in good shape......

Sounds like a good price for the 05. I will be honest, I think I stole my 03 this spring for $7500. The guy I bought it from has even told me he should have sold it for more! He paid around $9500 for a year ago. I do take him fishing with me when he is in town!

Loving the boards, thanks and have a great day.

Latest posts

Back