01 Nitro trandducer

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEFF DARWAY

Reaction score
Have a 2001 Nitro 700LX bought a fishfinder and the person who was going to install it said there is no way to mount the transducer on the transom due to the shape of the hull. Is this true? Does anyone have a pic showing where you can mount the transducer on the transom?

Jeff - I have a '99 700lx same exact hull as yours, don't have a picture, but YES you can mount a transom transducer on the 700lx. Which fishfinder are you putting on, only reason I ask is if you are doing a Side Imaging Humminbird (assume its the same for the HDS from lorrance) you'll need to mount it differently (but still on the transom) due to the need for a clear shot on both sides of the boat.

Basically, you want to mount it on the first step below the back of the transom close to the outside, if you look at the back of the boat you'll notice the transom goes down then there is a 90 degree turn IN towards the front of the boat then it comes down again and there is a flat area perpendicular before it steps down again. That is where you mount the transducer to the hull with the bottom of the transducer parallel to the garage floor just below that 'step' so it is in the water when the boat is running on plane. Remember anytime you DRILL into the boat, make sure you mask the holes first to minimize cracks in the gelcoat, after drilling but before putting the screws in fill the holes with 3M marine sealant so that all holes are water tight.

Let me know if that makes sense. I've not heard of any of the Nitro hulls that can not mount a transom transducer.

Jeff, depending on the type of transducer, if it is an SI, a good place for install pics is the Yahoo SI group. This one is all Humminbird, but may give you some ideas. The Humminbird and Lowrance sections on Bass Boat Central have a lot of good install pics there as well.

I just mounted a HB SI transducer on my Z-7 and got great info from all of the above.

Good luck.

Another option if you ae doing a regular sonar transducer is to glue it into the hull and shoot it thru the glass. They work well that way and are protected from damage.

I will be mounting a Hummingbird 718. I have a existing transducer in the hull now. I actually was going to do the in the hull installation but I didn't know if it was easy to get the old one unglued and out in ordr to use the same spot.

Jeff - If you want to use the same in-hull approach, getting the old one out can be easy sometimes, tap it with a rubber mallet from the side and it MAY pop out. Then you will need to sand down the spot to be VERY smooth and re-epoxy the new transducer so there are no air bubbles. the only downside to the in hull transducers is no water temp, so you may want to spend the $30 on a external water temp sensor.

Hummingbird told me I can trade my transom tranducer for a in the hull transducer that comes with the temp probe for free. Any idea what epoxy I need to buy?

Jeff I installed the in hull one for my 798, it was a lot of fun getting the old one out, not much room in mine to bump it. I used a Dremel tool with a side cutter and cut the old epoxy back, then I was able to knock it off leaving the bottom of the old transducer. I cut it back some more, cleaned it all up, sanded and used the epoxy that came with my transducer. So you may be getting some with yours.

Good luck and have patience.

Latest posts

Back